Poor airflow from fan only setting.

Old 07-25-23, 04:59 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Poor airflow from fan only setting.

Hi,
In our last house when we turned the FAN ONLY option on, the airflow felt pretty good, almost akin to cooling airflow, in our new home the airflow is almost nonexistent when using the fan only setting, the cooling and heat all work well when on ( apart from the 2 rooms furthest from the air handler) and the fan noise is audibly louder when in cooling compared to fan only.
is there a way/setting/option on the handler to make the fan move more air? it feels like its stuck in slow mode ( not sure thats a thing )
i have attached a photo of the unit incase its needed to help.
thanks for your time.

Old 07-25-23, 05:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 89 Upvotes on 82 Posts
The blower speed will likely go to maximum speed when the compressor is engaged. Or, if it's a 2-stage compressor it may start at 30% and increase to 100% if the setpoint vs room temperature conditions warrant the compressor to use stage 2.

You may have blower speed taps you can choose. Depending on the thermostat you have that controls the Trane HVAC system you should be able to access 'User Settings' and make a change in the blower speed that better suits you. Do you know the model number of the thermostat you have?

Last edited by Kooter; 07-25-23 at 05:29 PM. Reason: orthography
Old 07-25-23, 06:12 PM
H
Thank you. We have a nest learning 3rd gen. Not sure there are any options in there though.

edit. I see nothing on the ap or wall unit. There is a nest pro section but I do not have access to it without a Iíd.
the fan option is almost useless it is so poor output.

Last edited by Hurleyfx; 07-25-23 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-26-23, 07:48 AM
H
I did more googling and quite a few videos say the jumpers can be swapped as wires dictate
fast/medfast/medslow/slow
turned the power off to have a look and I see nothing that would indicate thatís the case :/
photos of inside incase anyone has ideas.

Old 07-26-23, 08:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 89 Upvotes on 82 Posts
Hurleyfx - I recommend you have a HVAC tech make those changes for you to meet your needs. I would not try to make any changes yourself...

Your last house, in which you liked how the blower produced a better airflow, is obviously not like your current house - probably in a lot of ways - whether it be a different HVAC system, different ductwork, etc.

You may want a HVAC tech take a look at your air balance in your house with a focus on whether you have adequate return air, which oftentimes is inadequate causing poor airflow and/or poor cooling/heating throughout the house.

Hurleyfx voted this post useful.
Old 07-26-23, 09:09 AM
H
yeah i figured as much but knew the minds here would help if possible. thank you for your time. i guess ill out to them or wait for my 6 month service.

Old 07-26-23, 11:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
Your system uses an ECM (electronic motor).
It's not as simple as moving motor wires around.
Your motor is preprogrammed for multiple speeds and they are selected during installation.

Choices vary based on single or two stage operation.
Split A/C or heat pump operation.

Trane GAM5B - pdf

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: