What happens to Gas appliances when installing Gree system?

Old 08-12-23, 04:26 AM
M
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
What happens to Gas appliances when installing Gree system?

Hey guys, I am thinking of getting the Gree HVAC system installed.

https://www.greecomfort.com/guide/homeowners/

I was told yesterday by my neighbor who had it installed last week that the installers will remove some parts from the Gas heating system when disabling it. My immediate question is does that mean we will need to replace [purchase] all of the Gas Appliances [Stoves, washer and dryer] with electric ones?

Is there any option to run the gas appliances while still using the Gree cooling/heating system please?

Old 08-12-23, 05:10 AM
Received 1,211 Upvotes on 1,099 Posts
installers will remove some parts from the Gas heating system when disabling it.
​​​​​​​What parts?

Old 08-12-23, 05:19 AM
M
He didn't tell me, wouldn't matter I am thinking as he has a different heating system than mine? His is a boiler and mine is Gas fired central heating.

Old 08-12-23, 06:30 AM
M
Oh, it's ok, I just spoke briefly with the neighbor again. He said they will disable your heating system but not the hot water tank and house's gas line which runs all gas appliances.

So I am guessing I will now have a higher electric bill but the savings from the gas heating will even out our total heating and cooling expenses so we will pay the same as with our current situation paying both heating and cooling costs?

Old 08-13-23, 12:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
Gree is a split - ductless A/C system.
If you are installing heat pump split units you can get heat and A/C from them.
Apparently you have a gas furnace and split A/C.

What was the problem with the furnace and old A/C ?
They do not have to be disconnected unless that was is what you want or they are damaged and not worth repairing.

mikehende voted this post useful.
Old 08-13-23, 04:45 AM
M
This is an 80 year old house with a very old Thatcher Gas fired heating system, so it's long overdue. I am waiting to speak with the guy who installs the Gree system to get specifics.

My immediate concerns will be that this is a 2 family home with 17 rooms [5 top floor, 6 1st floor and 6 basement] so there will need to be a heating vent in every room which I don't know if will be possible?

Next concern will be if it will cost me more that what I am currently paying which is around $600 per month total for gas and electricity? Any thoughts/advice please.

Old 08-13-23, 04:48 AM
Generally speaking a gas furnace is about as cheap as you can get for heating. Putting all those mini splits in that old house is going to require significant electrical upgrade, that is going to be expensive.

Old 08-13-23, 04:51 AM
M
So then I don't get it, what's the 'efficiency' and 'savings' they are talking about?

Old 08-13-23, 11:03 AM
You do get some benefit by heating and cooling just the rooms that are in use, mini splits are great but their installation is different from conventional centralized HVAC, you just have to do a full comparison of the costs!

Old 08-13-23, 04:22 PM
Received 59 Upvotes on 51 Posts
Multiple ductless mini-splits seems like a poor choice for whole house HVAC. Each unit recirculates the air in one room. You lose whole-house air filtering and circulation.

Old 08-13-23, 09:14 PM
Group Moderator
It would be more cost effective to upgrade the furnace and split A/C.
Two family home with 17 rooms is more than one system.

That brings up questions:
Will it remain two family ?
If yes.... that means two systems.
Are there ducts in/to every room ?
The current ducting situation is your major guide at this point.

You'd need to take a second mortgage to put a ductless unit in many rooms.

Old 08-14-23, 04:01 AM
M
Yes it will remain 2 family.
Yes, there are ducts in each room.

I will need heating for the 3 floors. Far as I am understanding though with this system they won't be using any of our existing ducts so will require having to put their own duct or vent into each room somehow.

Old 08-14-23, 11:27 AM
There is no ducting needed with mini splits, but as noted significant electrical upgrades for every room that has one, assuming!

Convention system would use existing duct, big cost savings, you could have power ducts that divert heat to the specific floor, maybe, seems that would be cheaper, maybe!

Old 08-14-23, 12:03 PM
M
Hmnn, aside from the electrical issue, having to put a vent or whatever it's called into 17 rooms that will cost a bundle I can imagine.

Old 08-15-23, 11:56 AM
I think the more common term is zone heating. You have a single HVAC unit but ducting to different floors with their own thermostat. When a floor calls for heat/cool the powered duct opens to that floor.

Again, can a single system be converted, maybe!

Old 08-16-23, 08:32 AM
M
Just spoke with the installer guys, he will come here to inspect the situation.

Meantime, he was able to answer a few questions. No need for us to upgrade or touch our electrical system and the Gree system works only with 220.

It will require a separate unit for each of our 3 floors and it will cover vents in every room.

I can have full control with the remote system for all floors.

One of the things which remains in question will be the 2nd floor in this 2 family home, it is rented and they have their own electrical meter.

Old 08-16-23, 12:03 PM
No need for us to upgrade or touch our electrical system and the Gree system works only with 220.
Your installing multiple 220 electrical units throughout the house and no upgrade is needed?

Old 08-16-23, 12:08 PM
M
That's what both the guy and my neighbor says, my neighbors house is pretty much the same age only his is a one family.

Old 08-18-23, 02:10 AM
Group Moderator
A 100A service could be stretched. Sounds like you need three outdoor units.
However.... the tenant system should be on the tenant meter unless you specifically include heating and cooling. Typically the landlord covers HVAC when it's a central system.... not all electric.

Old 08-18-23, 03:47 AM
M
Yes, the guy had said we would need a unit for each floor and because they run on 220 they will not be running with our 110 electrical system hence no need to have to upgrade our electrical system.

Regarding the tenants, they have their own meter and pay their own electric but they don't pay for heating so this will pose a problem how I am to do this.

He said I will be able to control the unit on the 2nd floor with my remote here on the ground floor so I am thinking I can control the heat only and let them continue to use their AC's during the summer but problem will still be that the electric used to run the heat on the 2nd floor unit will be charged to their meter so I can't figure a way around this.

Old 08-18-23, 01:04 PM
Group Moderator
Unfortunately you can't change your tenant setup midstream without breaking the contract.
Is the tenant staying for a while ?
If not.... connect unit to your panel now and switch to tenant panel with new tenant.

Remotely controlling the tenant temperatures will become a petty fight.

Old 08-19-23, 04:55 AM
M
Yes I am aware of that and I don't see that the tenants who say they 'love it here' will be leaving this apartment unless we should see the house.

Only thing I can think of is telling them that the new system will be much more efficient so would be to their benefit plus they will have the cheaper cooling cost and maybe I can give a slight rent reduction to compensate for the increased electric bill during the winter and since I should be saving on the heating cost it might even out?

Also, I am wondering if these units come with a thermostat or will depend on my controlling it from it's remote?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: