HVAC unit 9 months old

Old 09-14-23, 10:18 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HVAC unit 9 months old

My unit has been leaking water for 3 months now itís also only 9 months old. 4 techs have said my dogs hair to be the blame and that it needs a cleaning. I have water leaking into the ductwork and all over the floor and have used my 8 gallon shop vac and filled it 7 times with 1 vent furthest from the unit. It doesnít drain while running except for a drip or 2 every minute but as soon as itís off itís drains fine but while running it drains out the bottom of the unit onto my floor and into the duct work does anyone know what might be my problem.

Old 09-14-23, 11:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 89 Upvotes on 82 Posts
Where did the tech say your dog's hair may be that needs 'a cleaning'? Did you ask? Is it the evaporator that needs cleaning? The filter?

Have you inspected the filter and your primary condensate drain line to see if it might be clogged-up? Also, check the secondary or emergency tray to see if it is full of water and spilling over onto duct work or the ceiling or the floor. .

Old 09-14-23, 11:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,319 Upvotes on 2,064 Posts
Where exactly is the water coming from? You mention ductwork "furthest from the unit". A leak in the air conditioner will usually appear right at the base of the machine. A leak there is often a clogged condensate drain or dirty coil. If you have water dripping from registers or ductwork it might be condensation pointing to a duct issue.

Old 09-14-23, 11:27 AM
J
So the water is leaking in from the bottom of the hvac unit into the ductwork then traveling through the ductwork and ending in the vent furthest from the unit and yes the evap coil even though its not dirty and just a little bit of dirt and grime on it but the coil is still clearly visible and the water stays in the pan and leaks everywhere else except out the drain line and doesnít drain while running but does drain while off

Old 09-14-23, 11:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 89 Upvotes on 82 Posts
Have you inspected the condensate drain line to see if it might be clogged-up? Also, the secondary or emergency condensate catch tray and its drain line?

Old 09-14-23, 11:47 AM
J
So the drain line isnít clogged I do know that I can pour a bottle water in the ptrap and it all drains out the other end and where would the second one be at since I live in a double wide and my drain line is pretty simple its about 20ft in total length from start to finish Iíd have to say.

Old 09-14-23, 02:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
You have a negative pressure issue.

When there is negative pressure inside the air handler... a vacuum keeps condensate from going down the drain and eventually it starts splashing all over the place. When the blower stops.... the negative pressure is gone... the drain works fine.

You need a trap in the condensate line.
A picture or two of your drain lines at the air handler would he helpful.
How to insert pictures.

Old 09-14-23, 02:51 PM
J

hereís are 3 photos 2 of my drain line at the unit and 1 of the evap coil they say is dirty and needs to be cleaned

Old 09-14-23, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
Looks like an "A" coil. Remember.... only the side where the air enters gets dirty.
Typically it's the bottom side of the "A".

There should not be anything in the drain line. It should come out and go directly to the trap.
It looks like there are two float switches. The one in the left.... overflow.... port is fine.

Old 09-14-23, 04:32 PM
J
It might look like a A coil but itís only 1 coil that goes from top right to bottom left when looking at it and the water makes it to the pan but is never allowed to leave the pan until the system is off or it does what it has been doing and draining out the bottom back corner and front corner and into my ductwork which like I have said before they keep blaming my dogs hair for my issues when itís under warranty and the air enters through the top but to me it doesnít look that dirty.

Old 09-14-23, 04:33 PM
J
My blower motor is at the bottom of the unit and my single slanted coil is at the top where my filter also goes so the side your seeing in that photo is the side the air enters through

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: