What is this for? Possible birds nest inside. What to do ?

Old 03-27-24, 06:03 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What is this for? Possible birds nest inside. What to do ?

Hi Everyone!

What is this duct/pipe for? As seen in the pictures, it's located between my main level and upstairs. I'm thinking this is for the fan in the bathroom on the main level.

I've been needing to get a new cover for it...in the meantime, it seems like a bird has built (or is building) a nest inside of the duct/pipe. I looked inside the pipe and after it goes in the house a few feet, it bends downward, so I can't see what's going on inside. I did see a bird exit the the duct/pipe...and from inside my home, I can sometimes hear the bird poking around up there, probably tending to a nest. Having said all this, what does everyone recommend I do? I hate to cover it when I see the bird leave because there might be eggs or even hatchlings in the nest- I don't want to trap them in and the bird out. Should I just wait until any of the possible babies have hatched and left...and then put a cover on the vent? Should I do something now? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

~hlpmehlpmyprnts

Last edited by hlpmehlpmyprnts; 03-27-24 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Accidentally clicked the submit/post before I finished typing the title.
Old 03-27-24, 06:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
It's either for a bathroom fan or a dryer. Looks clean which would suggest bathroom.
Turn on the fan and blow the bird out. .................

Just kidding. Your going to have to wait until the bird moves out.
You'll need a ladder to peek in and see if the pipe is clear.
A mirror would help to peek in.

Old 03-27-24, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,975 Upvotes on 1,771 Posts
4" vent cleaning kit. You would want to feed it from the inside if possible. Note that if its a bath fan that you may have a damper to contend with. If you can get it past the damper, shove it all the way out on your drill then unscrew it and pull it out onve it protrudes on the outside.

Then put a louver on it. It looks like yours must have had some sort of a box built around it first which is gone, because they don't normally protrude that far. Unless you've yanked it out, which would be bad.

Old 03-28-24, 01:37 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks for your thoughts/suggestions, XSleeper and Pete!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: