Please help me understand our home's fresh air ventilation system

Old 04-21-24, 05:37 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Please help me understand our home's fresh air ventilation system

When we moved into our house several years ago, it was winter, and we noticed our system had on it a Honeywell Y8150A Fresh Air Ventilation System, and it was turned off at the time. We had not seen or heard of such a thing. When the HVAC company came out to upgrade our system to a MERV 13 filter and add a whole-house humidifier (for family with allergies) we asked about how to use the fresh air system. We were told to just keep it off all the time. So, we didn't turn it on until recently.

The family member with allergies has been lately struggling more, so we've been in conversation with the HVAC folks again. It was offered to us to add a whole house air purifier system. We did some research, and we aren't convinced this is an effective solution. We did read about the need for fresh air circulation in the house, so we decided to first try our fresh air ventilation system before adding anything else to the system. What we are seeing is that when the fresh air system is activated, it turns on our air conditioner. That doesn't seem right. Is it? It's been near freezing temps here in Iowa the past couple of nights, and the heat is turned on, not the AC.

The house was built in 2016 and the HVAC system is original to the house except for the upgraded filter and humidifier we added. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-21-24, 05:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,236 Upvotes on 1,995 Posts
Are you certain your air conditioner is running? Is it possible that only the air handler fan turns on to circulate the fresh air throughout the home?

Old 04-21-24, 06:23 AM
B
I'm pretty sure. It sounds like it does when it comes on in the summer. Does it help to know that when we turn the fan on the thermostat to "on" rather that "auto," we hear the fan in the basement, and the AC does not come on.

Old 04-21-24, 08:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 897 Upvotes on 758 Posts
IF this: https://www.resideo.com/us/en/pro/pr...-y8150a1017-u/ is the system you have the furnace fan should run to draw in outside air. The system is only a damper that opens a vent to allow outside air into the system. The outside A/C condenser should not turn on. If it does, then something is miswired.

Outside air is the source of pollen so if your family member is allergic to pollen that may not be a good option.

Old 04-21-24, 11:35 AM
B
Thanks, yes, that's our equipment. We'll have the HVAC person come out and check the wiring.

The reasoning I read about increasing the fresh air into the system is that the air in the house gets circulated and filtered more often, which can help with allergies.

Old 04-21-24, 06:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 897 Upvotes on 758 Posts
The reasoning I read about increasing the fresh air into the system is that the air in the house gets circulated and filtered more often, which can help with allergies.
Circulating the house air will help filter the air inside the house and help with allergies. Introducing outside air will increase allergins inside the house as it will be full of pollen and dust since it is not filtered and it can likely make them worse depending on what the person is allergic to.

Fresh, outside air is not clean air.

Old 04-22-24, 05:45 AM
B
Thanks again. So, am I understanding incorrectly? I thought when fresh air is brought in, it goes through the filter before it is distributed throughout the house?

Old 04-22-24, 01:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,057 Upvotes on 3,640 Posts
Incoming air may or may not be filtered before being sent to the house BUT your air circulation system is not designed to remove pollen. It does remove some but not enough for an allergic person.

I would not recommend bringing air in now during pollen season.

They make electronic filters that are supposed to greatly remove pollen. ]
I had one.... it may have helped but was a nuisance to clean.
It required monthly service or it was like having no filter at all.

Old 04-22-24, 02:52 PM
B
Thanks Pete!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: