Can a bathroom vent got through a top-ridge roof vent?

Old 05-31-24, 09:44 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can a bathroom vent got through a top-ridge roof vent?

I am trying to get attic ready for insulation. One of the things I need to do is get two bathroom (one existing, one new) fan vent outlets good. I can't get them easily through the soffit and the one I currently have is going through a special vent cap through the roof. One of the things I'm going to do is make a top ridge vent which will be about 40' long (to make ventilation better). I'm wondering if I can run the bathroom vents to it (I couldn't find anything online about that). In theory, there is no direct venting through the roof with this but I could make it pretty fairly tight & sealed so that dampness doesn't stay inside the attic/roof. There's a couple reasons I want to do it this way: don't want to show separate vents on the front side of our roof (cosmetic) and don't want to put them on the back side so we can keep it more open for future solar panels.

The photo below shows roughly how I'd like to vent it (just what I mean for a top-ridge roof vent). Hopefully this is enough info to explain what I hope to do for it.

Thanks,
BB

Top Answer

05-31-24, 02:23 PM
Pilot Dane
Group Moderator
Received 2,319 Upvotes on 2,064 Posts
No, you may not connect your vent to the ridge vent. It may not discharge anywhere inside the attic so ridge and gable vents are a no no. You need a hole in the roof and a proper roof vent..

Old 05-31-24, 11:38 AM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
Not a roofer but I think the issue with your proposal is that there is no way to positively connect the exhaust to the ridge vent. You can't just leave the end of the vent pipe from the bathroom loose on the bottom side of the ridge vent. There is no way to ensure that the exhaust exits through the ridge which means you likely will have the moist air staying in the attic. if you did find a way to create a custom connection, you would need it to be large enough to handle the air volume which is likely more than just the 3-4 inches wide since the ridge vent is mostly covered.

Just my thoughts.

- Peter

Old 05-31-24, 02:23 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,319 Upvotes on 2,064 Posts
No, you may not connect your vent to the ridge vent. It may not discharge anywhere inside the attic so ridge and gable vents are a no no. You need a hole in the roof and a proper roof vent..

sdodder, XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 05-31-24, 04:44 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Okay thanks, that's what I was wondering about, just hoping it would work. I did look online again (after I made the post) and may have found a special vent connection that might be made just for a ridge vent. I'll look it up again later and post a pic/link to it if it looks good.

Thanks,
BB

Old 05-31-24, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
You're in a cold location..... if you discharge warm air under the roof it will sweat on the vent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: