UV Air Cleaning Systems

Old 06-23-24, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
UV Air Cleaning Systems

I have been thinking about pulling the trigger on this for a couple of years now. Family has allergies and a love for pets, etc. I am wondering what various systems people might recommend, etc.

Our HVAC contractor quoted us Premie Air Scrubber a few years ago but we never acted on it. It appears there are systems based on UV light, some based on ozone, and perhaps some that are a mixture of both. I am not looking for a specific recommendation (won't ignore it either); however, mostly wondering about the considerations on installing this kind of capability on my HVAC system.

Some friends tell me these are amazing and indispensable and others tell me they are not sure it is making any difference.

Apologies in advance if I this is not the right forum. I also did some searches for "UV" and "Air scrubber" and did not amount to much.

Thoughts?

Old 06-23-24, 01:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,139 Upvotes on 3,717 Posts
Are you asking for opinions ?

It may help but based on the high cost ...... is borderline in results.
The A/C air duct system was not intended to remove allergies.

Electronic air filters are very effective for the reduction of fine dust and pet dander.
The problem is they need to be cleaned every month and no one does it.

Premier Air Scrubber sounds like a money scrubber.
Better do your homework on that system.

Old 06-23-24, 05:22 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,309 Upvotes on 2,054 Posts
UV, when used properly can kill living organisms. It does not remove them however. So, a properly sized UV system can kill bacteria and viruses in the air but doesn't do anything to remove dander, dust and other allergy causing particles.

And notice that I said "proper" a couple times. Most systems I have seen are woefully undersized. UV needs a minimum contact time to be affective. That is difficult to do in an air handler system where the air is passing through quickly. This requires a system powerful enough to kill quickly which adds to the expense. Get an undersized system and it really doesn't do much of anything except take your money.

Old 06-24-24, 08:03 AM
Thank you Pilot Dane and Pjmax.

RE: "So, a properly sized UV system can kill bacteria ..." Is there some sort of formulas or calculations to determine what size is needed?

RE: "Are you asking for opinions?" Yes by all means.

Are there methods of measuring indoor air quality in order to get a sense as to whether any of these systems is making a difference?

Old 06-24-24, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,139 Upvotes on 3,717 Posts
I don't know of any DIY tests you can make.
You'd need to call a company that does Indoor Air Quality Testing.

Old 06-24-24, 03:31 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Check these out. IMO these are the best filters for residential systems.
Spacegaurd Filters

Old 06-25-24, 05:52 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Do not waste your money on a UV light. To kill any bacteria or virus with that much air moving through the system as quickly as it does, the UV light would have to be huge.

Plus, bacteria and viruses have nothing to do with allergies.

Ozone can remove contaminants, but it is unsafe to use in the size you need.

You need a properly sized and quality physical HEPA filter. Do your research on this. Go to consumerreports.com

Anybody that says that a UV light has been helpful for the things you've mentioned has been thoroughly ripped off and is under the influence of the placebo effect.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: