Kenmore Dryer Trouble

Old 01-11-00, 02:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

After about 10 minutes or so the dryer will trip the circut breakers...The breakers, high temp thermostat, and the heating element have all been replaced. Do I spend the $80.00 and replace the motor as suggested by the parts dealer or is there another problem??

Old 01-11-00, 04:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

Hi,
Don;t replace anything until you get the fuse box checked,changed, updated, fixed first. If a dryer runs for a while and then the fuse/breaker lets go...usually this is a fuse box problem rather than a dryer problem. If you have fuses, put in two new...select heat on the dryer and run for 5 minutes...pull the fuses and check the bottom of the fuses for heat...if they are hot to warm to the touch...the box is your problem.
jeff.
Appliancehelp

Old 01-11-00, 06:02 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi, forgot to mention...after the #1 trouble maker being the fuse box.....the heating element is common to be stretched and touching the frame causing a short, sometimes a wire can rub the drum and short, if the motor is in question, try a ohm test to ground looking for a grounded winding in the motor...or test for amp draw to make sure it is not using too much power. A loose connection in your main power or plug receptical may also over heat and trip the breaker...a too long of a run or poorly installed electrical line may over heat and trip the breaker. The dryer breaker should also be a 30 amp breaker set.
jeff.
Appliance Help

Old 07-30-04, 03:10 PM
arty101
Visiting Guest
dryer over heating

my kenmore dryer over heats , top of dryer is real hot vent is ok live in double wide moble home. change the out let from a 3 prong range plug to a 4 plong.
thermal fues blows if running over 50mins. any help , some body said that the house is not ground right, had four dryers in the house with no problems?.
thank you
arty101

Old 08-01-04, 09:12 AM
arty101
Visiting Guest
dryer problems

I have a kenmore dryer model#96561220 I had a dryer before that ran with no problems, this kenmore dryer over heats ,the topof the dryer gets hot so you can,t touch it. the vent is ridged flex duct, I changed the range plug to
a 4 prong plug, the thermal fuse does not blow if i run at 30 0r 40 mins. but
after a couple of loads it gets hot on top. any help ?
arty101

Old 01-05-06, 05:40 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Dryer- Runs Short Period

Dryers runs a shot period (10 min.) after heating up and then stops. Rehit on the Start button and nothing, maybe a buzz noise. After letting it sit for half hour or more, the dryer will run for another short period of time. Any idea's on the problem?

Old 01-05-06, 05:47 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3 Different questions on one thread?

I'll try answering one by one. Dave01: Sounds like you have a motor going bad. Motor is overheating & the thermal overload is shutting it off. Takes awhile till the overload cools & resets & you can turn it back on again.
Arty101: You're positive the vent line isn't obstructed anywhere? Does the vent run under the mobile home? I have seen the vent line fill up with condensate in cooler weather at a low spot in line. Double check. Thats a major cause of the thermal fuse blowing. If vent is ok. Replace operating thermostat & high-limit thermostat. Guest: Try running your dryer in the Fluff/no heat setting & see if it still trips breaker. What brand dryer is it? Most of the time, even if motor is going bad, the thermals in the motor trip.
Not the circuit breaker. Unless it is shorting out to ground. Take plate off back of dryer where cord goes in & check connections there. Take cover off recepticle & look at connections there too. Turn breaker off first. Dave

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: