GE washer and grease on the floor.

Old 09-30-02, 08:15 AM
tbano
Visiting Guest
GE washer and grease on the floor.

Jeff,
I have an old style (metal tub) GE washer purchased new in 1992. There is a lot of light brown or "clean" grease on the floor under my washer. It seemed to start a few months ago with a small amount on the floor but I recently moved it and there was a good deal of clean fresh looking grease on the floor. It's not oil. I searched the forums for a possible answers or insight to my problem and looked at the links to appliance aid that you suggested, but they all seem to deal with oil leaking on the floor. This was definitely fresh grease. When I say fresh, I mean it looks like new, out of the can, grease. It's enough to alarm me.

The washer was not perfectly level, but it wasn't really out of level much, maybe 1/2 inch here or there. It's level now and we'll see if new grease shows up. But any insight or suggestions or is there anything I should do now to prevent further damage or grease leaks?

BTW, it does seem to be working fine.

Thanks, Tony

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-02, 09:33 AM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi,

Sorry to say, sounds like oil to me!

Washers normally don't have much grease in them at all....the transmission is full of oil....which on GE washers often gets dumped onto the floor.

Remove power, tilt the washer back and check on/around/near the large center pulley under the tranny....often the belt and pulley throw the oil around inside the cabinet.

Some tranny's had a 5 or 10 year parts warranty....only way to correct is to replace the tranny or repiar your old tranny.

jeff.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 02-23-04 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-30-02, 09:43 AM
tbano
Visiting Guest
Jeff,
I'll inspect the washer as you suggest when I get home but I did do this and only saw a few light brown spots on one side of the cabinet. The substance on the floor was an amber colored grease. It had a consistency like petroleum jelly. I don't think oil can thicken up like that. I'll post the results of my inspection along with the model # tomorrow

You say replace the tranny or repair the tranny. How and what would you repair on the tranny? I'm mechanically inclined. How hard would it be to replace the tranny? Is this a few hour job?

Thanks again.
Tony

Old 09-30-02, 04:00 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

Howdy,

Some of the oils they use are a synthetic oil....acts a little diff than some other oils....sometimes if water gets into the tranny the oil can change foamy or black due to the moisture.

About an hour for me....a couple of hours would be a good time for the first time changing one. Same procedure as above for R&Ring the tranny.

Tranny info....
Please select your correct transmission from this list of 3 (including your model number in the order would be good as well).

WH38X39 has a shaft that is approximately 15-1/2 inches. The spline has 20 teeth.

WH38X38 has a shaft that is approximately 14 inches. The spline has 20 teeth.

WH38X53 has a shaft that is approximately 14 inches. The spline has 9 teeth.

The pump can spew some crud around inside the cabinate as well...a worn clutch bearing dust may as well.

jeff.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 02-23-04 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-15-03, 08:48 AM
tbano
Visiting Guest
Jeff,

I just wanted to thank you for your help and guidance on this issue. I ordered a rebuilt transmission from your links in April 2003 and just installed it this weekend. Better late than never and it went very well. It took about 2 hours and I doubt there was a drop of oil left in the transmission.

Thanks again,

Tony

Old 12-16-03, 03:15 AM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Glad we could help

Thankx for the update!!

jeff.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 02-23-04 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-16-03, 07:30 PM
KurtDixon
Visiting Guest
Sounds good, it seems when the oil hits the floor, it tends to get sticky, gooey. Likely you saw oil in a bottle or transmission before (or in your car.) and then if you have seen a car engine with oil on it, it is thick, black and gooey, instead of watery or free-flowing
That's my take on it anyhow
Glad you get 'er fixed

Old 02-23-04, 11:51 AM
tbano
Visiting Guest
Jeff,

I have a followup question on this washer. Both before and after I changed the transmission, the washer made a loud clunking type noise while it was agitating. I suspect it is the belt slipping at the end of each back and forth agitation due to oil buildup. The pully and the belt were both fairly heavily covered in oil from the leaking transmission. I wiped them off the best I could but I suspect slippage is the cause for this noise. Do you agree? Will I need to replace the belt and clean everything up to fix this? Any easy fix without having to remove the tub and transmission? Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

Old 02-26-04, 08:41 AM
tbano
Visiting Guest
Anyone??