Amana washer just buzzes during wash cycle

Old 03-13-03, 10:09 PM
padudeman
Visiting Guest
Amana washer just buzzes during wash cycle

I have an Amana top loading washer Model #LWA50AW that is almost 4 years old. My wife loaded it today, the water filled up, it cycled a few times and then quit running. She went to check it and smelled a burning/electric smell and shut it off.
When I came home I tried the knob at the wash setting and it just buzzed. I tried the rinse cycle and it worked and drained the tub. I unplugged it, pulled the front cover and everything "looks" intact but that's as far as my knowledge goes for washing machines. I turned the belt and evertyhing seemed to rotate OK so I tried the wash cycle again but got the same bad results.
I'm OK with taking it apart and replacing something but like anyone I would like to replace the right part.
Any ideas on what I should look for?
Thank you,
Ed

Old 03-14-03, 03:26 AM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi,

a burning/electric smell and When I came home I tried the knob at the wash setting and it just buzzed
If the motor was just buzzing and not going....*possible* trouble makers:
- motor itself
- bad/loose/burnt wire to the motor or motor plug
- something seizing/straining stopping it from going ( EG tranny, pump )
- timer contacts burnt/blackened

Click her for manual
Service manual for newer one belt style washers.
Manual might help!?!

jeff.

Old 03-16-03, 11:34 AM
padudeman
Visiting Guest
The fact that the rinse cycle still work and the tub drains indicate that the pump and motor are still good, right? Wrong?
I'm still tinkering with it and I let it "buzz" for a couple of minutes. I turned it off and unplugged it and noticed the power cord and the motor were quite warm.
Any more clues to look for?
Ed

Old 03-16-03, 12:16 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi,

The fact that the rinse cycle still work and the tub drains indicate that the pump and motor are still good, right? Wrong?
Nope...did the washer/motor accually agitate in the rince cycle?...or just pump out the water and spin. The pump may be ok, but the motor runs one way to agitate, stops, reverses and runs the other way for spin.

unplugged it and noticed the power cord and the motor were quite warm
Motor is drawing a lot of power trying to go and is heating up the cord/cord plug in the process.

jeff.

Old 03-19-03, 08:24 AM
padudeman
Visiting Guest
Just for future reference it was the timer. One of the contacts wasn't complete. I took the timer box apart, bent the prongs, got full contact and she works like a charm. Especially with the new motor thatit didn't need. Oh well.
Thanks again
Ed

Old 03-19-03, 09:05 AM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thankx for the update!

Motors can damage timers...timer can damage motors...probably wasn't a bad idea to repair both at the same time

jeff.

Old 02-28-07, 06:22 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
amana washer buzzing ... same prob ... same fix

I had the same problem. One contact in the timer had arced and stuck together. I used the wife's finger nail file to clean up the contact and put it all back together and it's working now. I am not sure how long it will work or why it arced in the first place. I would like to know why.

The buzz from the motor sounded like it was trying to run in both directions. I was thinking the problem was with the motor. "padudeman"'s follow up post prevented me from spending money. Thanks for the follow up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: