Maytag Neptune Washer Old Style Motor

Old 07-23-03, 01:24 PM
yomero
Visiting Guest
Maytag Neptune Washer Old Style Motor

To all:

Please, I need to get a hold of the tub motor for the Maytag Neptune washer, models MAH3000AWW or MAH4000AWW.

Actually, I do not care about the model of the washer.
I need the old style Switched Reluctance motor, Maytag part number 22003442, or 12001426. I do not need the

I have the new style, that is, part number 12002039.

In my case, I need the old style motor, because it is for a special school project, not for a washer!

I have called Maytag, and was bounced back to the local parts distributor, who correctly said that they have no more of the old style. Obviously, they only want the new style, since it is for repairs. I also called several service part destributors, and they have the same comment. No one could tell me what they do or did with the old motors. I would go to the city dump if I knew they were thrown there!

I will take it even if the windings are burnt. I can fix it.

Please, I have short time left to finish my project.

I will appreciate any help.

yomero...

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-03, 01:36 PM
ohm_boy
Visiting Guest
...and where are you located?

Old 07-23-03, 01:58 PM
yomero
Visiting Guest
I am located in El Paso, TX

I need to find this motor by Aug 15.

I am at the beginning of the prototype build for my thesis project.
Have all the components for my controller board.
When the control board is done (about 3 weeks) I will need a motor to try it out.

If you guys know of any repair place where they could have one of these motors, or know some one that knows, please post a reply on this forum.
I will be checking this site daily, while I search for this motor.

Interestingly enough, I checked the website for Emerson Appliance, who makes (or used to make) this motor, and they have some e-mail links to some people you can contact for questions related to this motor, and I tried sending some e-mail questions, to later see that all my e-mails are bounced back with an error message like "No transport provider was available for delivery to this recipient", meaning that that e-mail recipient has been taken off line.

Furthermore, no phone number for general questions about this type of motor solutions from Emerson. Just a webpage that still advertises that Maytag has introduced the "first commercial application of a Switched Reluctance Motor".

Isn't this funny?

Old 07-23-03, 02:19 PM
ohm_boy
Visiting Guest
pcappliancerepair.com lists the 12001426 as in stock for $ 159.95
I cannot tell whether or not they have subbed to the new one and just not updated the site. It would be worth a call.

Old 07-24-03, 01:29 AM
thegreatfixer
Visiting Guest
long shot but try it

i have a freind (my parts dealer) in Cal. and he has told me of his freind who has a lot of defective machines from the manufacturer
to be stripped (i know he got all the fisrt whirlpool calypso washers maybe he has the maytags also
call Bill at work 1-310-217-8888 and ask him very nicely for the # of the junk yard or graveyard tell him Steve from Israel sent you

i know that they where DC motors tell me what you are working on with special transformers

thank you
thegreatfixer

Old 07-28-03, 07:47 AM
yomero
Visiting Guest
Smile

Message to "thegreatfixer":

I followed your lead (the phone number you posted), and believe it or not, after leaving a message (he was busy), he called back and gave (as you said) some phone numbers.

After a few phone calls, one of those guys did have one of the old motors!

I have ordered it, and as soon as I get it I will let you know if everything was OK.

Thanks a lot!.......It appears I was lucky to stumble onto this Forum!

Very good comments, very friendly participants, and even better: people who like to help. That is the most important!

Thank you.

yomero.....

Old 07-28-03, 04:37 PM
ohm_boy
Visiting Guest
Cool - now there are two motors. Well, one confirmed, so far

Yomero, you need to make your project report available when you're done. I'd like to see it.

Old 07-29-03, 08:36 AM
yomero
Visiting Guest
You bet.
After all, I owe it the people on this forum.
I will also confirm when I get this other motor, if I am OK to go.
I might also order another one from either Jeff1 or DennisF, just to be covered in case I blow the first one (big probability!), but I will wait for the first to arrive to make sure.

Thanks,
yomero....

Old 08-01-03, 07:07 AM
yomero
Visiting Guest
To all participants:

I just received the motor I ordered last from Genuine Maytag in California.

Just what I needed. Switched reluctance motor.
Thanks for all the help.

The first motor I had order is on its way back to RepairClinic.com

I will order a second motor of the old style, from either Jeff1 or DennisF.
Just give me a few days to check my budget (I have many other parts to order for this project of mine.

Until later,
yomero.....

Old 08-01-03, 07:14 AM
ohm_boy
Visiting Guest
Great. I'm glad you finally found one. Can't wait for the schematic and results! (or are you using the original control board?)

Old 08-01-03, 11:07 AM
yomero
Visiting Guest
Ohm_Boy:

No, I am not using the original control board.

It has to be a new development to be accepted as a school project.

The idea is to apply one of those fancy new microcontrollers, and put it together with the proper power FET drivers and miscellaneous componentry, to drive the reluctance motor and control it to be able to start it from stand still, accelerate it, bring it to nominal speed (3600RPM), then decelerate it and bring it to a stop, all by means of the software program in this microcontroller.

The great difficulty is in the programming of this micro. All my effort is concentrated on the software. The schematics actually look very similar to the controller board that the Neptune uses (got to be compatible with the motor, that is why) Different components though, since the Neptune uses an ASIC, and I am using a micro.

I am using one of those quick prototype board places you can find on the web to have the PCB made (the copper traces you know). Then I solder the components by hand, and test the whole thing together. Testing is the most fun part of the project, since I have to start applying pulses to the motor to verify if it is responding.

By the way, to show you the schematics when I am done, I need to post a picture on the forum. How can I do that?

Later,
yomero....

Old 08-01-03, 11:21 AM
ohm_boy
Visiting Guest
Cool deal. I COULD suggest that you could use the control board as a driver, and just control it with the microprocessor via PWM to the J4 connector, but I won't. It would make it too easy. Besides, I don't have specs on the PWM levels and widths, so you'd have to 'scope one somewhere. Might as well build your own, eh. ?
Out of curiosity, which micro have you decided upon?

As for posting pics, they'd have to be loaded onto a web server somewhere and then a link can be imbedded in a post here. Either Jeff or I could host the pics - you'd have to email them to one of us, or perhaps a free web hosting site, or maybe the university provides some student web space.

Old 08-01-03, 02:52 PM
yomero
Visiting Guest
Ohm_Boy:

That's a great idea! Why didn't I think of that?

The university does have a student web page option.
Let me explore that, and if available, I will use it to post the pictures and schematics as I approach the prototype tests in a couple of weeks or so.

Thanks,
yomero....

Old 08-01-03, 02:54 PM
yomero
Visiting Guest
Ohm_Boy:

Sorry.....I forgot about your question:

I selected the new TMS320F2810 micro from Texas Instruments.
You can take a look at http://www.ti.com

yomero.....

Old 03-01-04, 06:24 AM
ohm_boy
Visiting Guest
Just for my own curiosity, I was wondering how Yomero's project came out....
Yomero? You out there?

Old 03-01-04, 07:45 AM
thegreatfixer
Visiting Guest
hey this is the greatfixer i have been wondering also

ps I was also wondering I have seen a few MAH 3000 and was wondering if there is a way to prevent them from taking a dump (“wax motor, motor control” and what not) from going bad

thank you
thegreatfixer

Old 03-01-04, 08:02 AM
ohm_boy
Visiting Guest
There are some ways to prevent major failures and keep the repair costs down, yes.
I can't post links on this board, but if you do an internet search for 'neptune door lock fuse', you can find some info...

Old 03-01-04, 10:58 AM
thegreatfixer
Visiting Guest
thank you for the info

Old 03-03-04, 08:55 PM
yomero
Visiting Guest
School Project with the Maytag motor

Hi, guys.
It's been a long time.
All of December was a very hectic month. Very long nights, test after test, trying to get it right.
Finally, in the nick of time, I finished just one day before I had to deliver my Thesis paper. (Had to finish, or else...) Jan 12th, 2004
It worked great!!
I was able to prove the concept, and the presentation was approved. I was a nervous wreck that day.
Even my wife got mad at me, for I did not invite her to the presentation (just got home to take a shower and go back to school).
But it paid off in the end.
And I could not have made it without the help from the guys at the Do-it-Yourself Network.
Thanks a lot.
I am going to try e-mail the main pictures to the moderator, so you all can take a look.
Thanks again, to everyone!!!

Old 03-03-04, 09:23 PM
yomero
Visiting Guest
SRM Motor project summary

For your curiosity, and as a token of appreciation:
1. Needed to find an SRM motor, low cost (very tight budget), for school project.
2. After a long search on the web, I stumbled onto the Do it Yourself Forums. Posted message asking for help.
3. Got several replies. People with links and comments. Followed one of them.
4. Got first motor ($220 or so, with tax and shipping) Good price
5. Short time after that got more links. Ordered second motor, just in case I blow the first one. Lower price $120 or so.
6. Continued with all the math and circuit design. (Lots of math by the way: I had to show this thing could be explained in terms of formulas and circuit equations)
7. Started building the prototype: hard to mount the motor in an aluminum frame: made for a washer, not for a school project!
8. First stage of the prototype worked. I attached the Neptune motor to a regular DC motor, to measure energy transfer from one to the other. Using a microcontroller to command it.
9. Saw that somebody else had posted 2 Neptune motors on eBay: $25 a piece. Unbelievable, after paying over of $320 for the first 2. I ordered one more just to acknowledge the gift. Thanks!
10. Went into solitary confinement all of December and the first 2 weeks of January.
11. Project was a success! Turned the Neptune motor into a generator, or motor, or whatever I wanted to do, since I made the control electronics and the program for the microcontroller.
12. Graduated from the University Of Texas at El Paso!

Need to post some of the pictures. Big bitmap files.
Any suggestions?

Later....

Old 03-03-04, 09:42 PM
ohm_boy
Visiting Guest
Great. If you email them to me I'll convert them to JPGs and post them on the web. I sent you a PM with the address.
You'll want to send them one at a time if they're big.
I'd be interested in posting your thesis, too, if you wouldn't mind.
Email me and we'll discuss the particulars of how you want it all to appear and how your credits need to be, etc..

Old 05-14-08, 12:08 PM
hi there
do you by any chance know where I could either find out about the part numbers for r11 and q6 of control board of maytag neptune washer model MAH4000AWW, or the schematics of it?
thanks
MH

Old 05-14-08, 06:33 PM
Maytag Neptune

Originally Posted by mhashemi View Post
hi there
do you by any chance know where I could either find out about the part numbers for r11 and q6 of control board of maytag neptune washer model MAH4000AWW, or the schematics of it?
thanks
MH
There are no schematics avalable for the Neptune control board but R11 is a 3.9K and Q6 (as issued) MAC97A6 400 volt triac. I use a ST Micro Z00607ma 600 volt triac as a "better than" substitute.

Clean the solder mask off the resistor traces and lap solder the leads to the trace. Be careful the copper is very light and easy to damage. don't worry about the little solder button on the lead of R11 that goes to the gate, it is only a heat sink. Lap soldering the leads makes a much better heat sink. This is a sngle sided board.