whirlpool dryer quits

Old 07-25-03, 10:36 PM
W
wwc
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
whirlpool dryer quits

I have a wirlpool heavy duty dryer model no#lec6646azo
With a load in to dry you can set it to a lenght of time say like 60 minutes and sometimes it will run for 40 minutes and then shut off and then you can start it up and it might run a long time but it seems like something is getting hot because after turning it back on several times the running time gets shorter till you let it cool down for several hours and then it will run a long time again.
I tested the motor that turns the drum first for a short to ground by removing the wires and testing at the rx1k setting on my meter to the case and to each wire terminal and nothing happened so i moved on to checking for continuity by testing the white wire and to each other wire and each time the needle moved a little,so i moved on to testing the timer by using a setting of rx1 to each wire while i moved the timer to each setting and I got continuity each time,on to testing the timer motor again at rx1 i removed the two wires to the motor and tested the terminals at the motor and again i got good continuity.
I'm lost for what to do now except wait till it's really hot and re-test.
Is there something else it could be and how do i test it.

Old 07-25-03, 11:10 PM
KurtDixon
Visiting Guest
So you set it for 60 mins and the dryer shuts off before the end? What if you leave the timer where it is and try to start the dryer again a while later (either 20 mins later or 1 hour later, whatever.) If it starts again and finishes the cycle, then look at the motor. Make sure it is clean as a whistle and make sure the dryer is not overheated (check the dryer and the house vent and make they are clean, also check the vent hood outside.) If all that including the motor is clean, then I would say the motor is bad.

Old 07-26-03, 06:35 AM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hi all,

With a load in to dry you can set it to a lenght of time say like 60 minutes and sometimes it will run for 40 minutes and then shut off
So you set it for 60 mins and the dryer shuts off before the end?
3 common things come to mind....

- motor over heating and shutting off on it's built in safety switch
- start switch solenoid opening up
- loose wire ( esp in the main power )

Maybe not so common...

- timer
- door switch

I tested the motor that turns the drum first for a short to ground
Checking for a "short" may not be the way to go. Something heating up and quiting is more possible.

What if you leave the timer where it is and try to start the dryer again a while later (either 20 mins later or 1 hour later, whatever.)
For sure a way to hopefully split the problem is to see if the dryer can start tight away after it shuts off too early or does it need cooling down time.

A bad/weak motor often needs cooling down time, a bad/weak relay in the start switch will normally not need cooling down time.

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=526866
Push to start switch.

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=2584
Drive motor, Whirlpool.

Definetly check for any lint built up inside the dryer and on the motor as Kurt indicated...venting is always a good idea to check and clean at the same time with any dryer problems.

I'm lost for what to do now except wait till it's really hot and re-test.
Proper power to the motor in one of these off/shutdown fits, would indicate a bad motor.

jeff.

Old 07-26-03, 10:16 PM
W
wwc
It doesn't really matter what time i set the timer to,it will shut down at a random time again and again.
When it shuts down I can press the on button again and it will start up again right away but the shorter time between shutting down and starting up again will make the dryer shut down sooner. So once it shuts down if I let it "cool"down it will run longer.
I think for sure something is getting hot but I don't want to start replacing things till I find whats bad.
I used a compressor and blew out all the lint I could find from the motor and everywhere else but there wasn't much.
The vent is clean and a good hot and strong air flow comes from the outside vent.

Old 07-26-03, 10:41 PM
KurtDixon
Visiting Guest
This is weird. All I can think is a weak motor thermisdat and it is turning the motor off when it is at normal "warm" operating tempurature. But still it should take longer in order for the thermisdat to reset. I am as confused as you are, sorry

Old 07-27-03, 06:16 AM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hi,

Not written in stone...but...usually a motor will need cooling down time before it will start up again, normally it will not come back right away if you press the start button right away after the dryer stops.

Do check for any growl/buzz noises from the motor on start up.
Do check that start switch and relay......

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=526866
Push to start switch.

The relay built into this switch can intermittantly shut off the dryer.

Just a thought

jeff.

Old 07-28-03, 04:32 PM
W
wwc
Well I thought maybe I found a pattern for when it shuts off but no. It sat for a day off and I strted it up and it ran for about 20 minutes and i kept starting it up with no cooling down time between starts and it kept getting shorter running times and then it went to just a couple minutes of running but then it started lasting longer . I had the back cover off to see if anything smelled hot or and sparks could be seen and after several long trys I noticed the start switch that has like a contact switch connection came off and with a blue spark it lost connection and when I pressed the button right then the contact came together and it wouldn't start but a minute later it did.
So maybe it's the start button?

Old 07-28-03, 04:57 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Smile

So maybe it's the start button?
You -might- be able to bypass it ( with the help of the dryers diagram ) to do a test....if runs ok the relay part of the start switch may be bad.

jeff.

Old 07-28-03, 07:03 PM
W
wwc
Hmmm,good idea. do you know what wires to connect to each other.
there are three wires one at the top r1 and another the same size r2 and a smaller one ct1 that are marked on the switch itself.
the r2 and ct1 are at the bottom.
but you probably already know that.
Any idea?

Old 07-28-03, 07:35 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hi,

do you know what wires to connect to each other.
Not really without seeing the dryer wiring diagram....if anything like this one....

http://www.applianceaid.com/images/s...ctronicwd2.JPG

*Appears* R1 to R2 is the switch part that the relay holds closed.

jeff.

Old 07-29-03, 07:31 PM
W
wwc
I talked to a friend today and his did the same thing and he thought that a thermal coupler was bad.
I think there is two on mine that i found after i removed the back,One at the heating element box and one at the exhaust box.
Any idea which one would cause my problem.
thanks

Old 07-29-03, 07:48 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hi,

#24 - operating thermostat for normal heat on and off
#23 - thermal fuse ( one time deal, opens and whole dryer stays dead with no reset )
#6 - thermal high limit ( one time deal, stops the heat completly )
#15 High limit thermostat for heat only

Any idea which one would cause my problem
None that I am aware of.

jeff.

Old 07-29-03, 10:47 PM
KurtDixon
Visiting Guest
I think the thermal fuse on the exaust "could" stop the motor from starting. But it wouldn't be off and on, once a thermal fuse lets go, that's it, it has to be replaced.

Old 11-22-04, 02:25 PM
W
wwc
Unhappy

Well i replaced a unit near the thermostat but it didn't help.
I went out and bought a new Roper dryer and gave up.
It has worked fine but now after about a month this dryer is doing the exact same thing as the old one.

Now what?

Old 11-23-04, 11:28 AM
Wiring. With the breaker off, check the dryer outlet for loose connections. There could also be a bad connection at the breaker. Check this only if you're comfortable working in an open breaker box. Remember there's always power in there somewhere... Otherwise call an electrician.

Doug M.

Old 11-23-04, 08:16 PM
W
wwc
I had my whole service replaced and upgraded to higher amps just last summer and the cord on the new dryer is new and everything is tight.
I was with the electrician the whole time since it was a good friend of mine, he is very good and professional and i would have thought if it was something
he would have seen while everything was apart he would have seen it then,hmmm.
the breaker never kicks off at the box.
I don't seem to be able to see anything wrong in the box with the cover off.

Old 01-12-05, 11:25 PM
W
wwc
well several weeks has gone by and it hasn't been shutting off very regular.
I don't know why this is happening, i had an electrician look things over but he couldn't find anything wrong.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: