Maytag Performa PAV2300AWW noise

Old 08-08-03, 09:31 AM
jcrook1954
Visiting Guest
Maytag Performa PAV2300AWW noise

We have a Maytag Performa washing machine PAV2300AWW that is two years old. It is "screeching" when it agitates and spins. It also doesn't seem to be getting all the "dirty" water from the clothes (even though it seems to be filling and rinsing okay). I.E. clothes will smell when they are done washing. What should we be looking for?

Old 08-08-03, 10:04 AM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hi,

It is "screeching" when it agitates and spins.
You will need to be very specific to when you are hearing this noise....most common is the brake and brake stator, but these only screech when the spinning quits to slow down the basket.
Something in the pump, pump itself, belt, motor pulley are other possible noise makers.

It also doesn't seem to be getting all the "dirty" water from the clothes
Are they sill wet at the end of the cycle, spun out ok, the agitation works ok?

jeff.

Old 08-08-03, 10:21 AM
jcrook1954
Visiting Guest
Reply to Jeff

Jeff, when the belt moves at all the machine "screeches" until the machine stops. We know it is not the belt, it is tight and is not slipping.

The clothes don't always get completely spinned out. And when they are done washing they smell.

We took out the basket and there was still water sitting in the bottom of the outer basket.

Old 08-08-03, 02:48 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hi,

when the belt moves at all the machine "screeches" until the machine stops. We know it is not the belt, it is tight and is not slipping
Definelty check that pump and the large center pulley....try turning by hand to see if you can get one or the other to make a noise by manually turning them. Pins, nails, nippers, buttons are bad for getting lodged in the pump. Motor pulley is nasty for comming apart, but this usually allows the belt not to turn properly.

The clothes don't always get completely spinned out
The washers clutch is built into the transmission...this has been an intermittant trouble maker for weak or slow spin outs...the tranny has a 5 year parts warranty so you may need a Maytag authorized servicer to check it out for that.
http://www.applianceaid.com/phone.html
Locate servicer helps.

We took out the basket and there was still water sitting in the bottom of the outer basket
There should be some....primed pumps are full of water at all times as well as the hoses to and from the pump....some water in the outside holding tank can be normal.

jeff.

Old 01-09-07, 09:46 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by jcrook1954
Jeff, when the belt moves at all the machine "screeches" until the machine stops. We know it is not the belt, it is tight and is not slipping.

The clothes don't always get completely spinned out. And when they are done washing they smell.

We took out the basket and there was still water sitting in the bottom of the outer basket.
This sounds much like the problem I'm having. When the washer is running, i.e. agitating/spinning there is a horrible, very loud whining sound. On top of that, I found that water was leaking from under the washer as well. Evidently I'm going to have to replace the pump, because the water is leaking down through the pulley underneath the washer. I don't know if that is the cause of the loud whining or if it's just another problem. At any rate, there are times that the agitator seems to be having trouble agitating and runs real slow. On top of that, when I used the delicate cycle that seemed to be when the water would not drain fully from the tub and the cloths would still be soaking wet. I'd have to run the washer on the regular cycle to get it to spin/drain properly. This is a very agrivating probelm. I can probably change the pump myself, but if the transmission is the source of the noise, I don't know if it would be worth trying to repair the washer, when you throw in all the costs for parts. I'll take any suggestions anybody may have, even though the origianl post was in 2003! Thanks!

Old 09-08-07, 09:29 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
same problem

Originally Posted by jcrook1954
We have a Maytag Performa washing machine PAV2300AWW that is two years old. It is "screeching" when it agitates and spins. It also doesn't seem to be getting all the "dirty" water from the clothes (even though it seems to be filling and rinsing okay). I.E. clothes will smell when they are done washing. What should we be looking for?
How do I get to the pump and pump pulley?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: