Magic Chef Dishwasher

Old 09-17-03, 08:18 PM
dealf
Visiting Guest
Magic Chef Dishwasher

I have a Magic Chef Diswasher, model number DU4500V, 4 yrs old.My problem is after the tub fills with water, it starts the draining cycle. Is this suppose to happen? I thought it drains after each wash cycle. My dishes doesn't become clean because of the water drain. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.
Frank

Old 09-18-03, 03:36 AM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hello,

My problem is after the tub fills with water, it starts the draining cycle
Your d/w has the sideways motor and pump assy with a solenoid to drain the water...often one of the solenoid activated arms will break/crack ( inside the pump assy or on the outside behind the lower panals ) and the drain flapper cannot hold the water in and the d/w drains prematurely. The solenoid coil could be bad or have even fallen out of place = same effect the water drains out almost as fast as it comes in = poor washes. That would be the best place to start, failing that the drain hose could be installed too low.

http://www.applianceaid.com/performadw.html
Whats underneath the d/w.

jeff.

Old 09-23-03, 02:30 PM
dealf
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Hi Jeff,
well, I installed a new drain solenoid and that was not the problem. The arms are not cracked or broke. Could it be an electrical problem. Exactly how does the solenoid works? It opens even when the plug is disconnected. It's as there is no power going to the solenoid.
Frank

Old 09-23-03, 02:45 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hi,

well, I installed a new drain solenoid and that was not the problem
Without checking it first...tsk

Exactly how does the solenoid works?
Without see your wiring diagram and timing chart we will guess as these have changed slightly over the years....most of these energized the solenoid to hold the water in and de-energized the solenoid to allow the d/w to drain....but the solenoid worked through out most of the cycle, some where reversed to only energize the solenoid for the drain outs.

If you can post the diagram please do so or e-mail me a copy and we will have a peek...
appliguy@hotmail.com

Could it be an electrical problem.
Yes possible. Any movement/noise from the solenoid as you rotate the timer manually through the cycle?

jeff.

Old 09-24-03, 06:47 AM
dealf
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Jeff,
I sent you the wiring diagram to your email.
Frank

Old 09-24-03, 03:03 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hi,

A copy...

**I will put a OHM meter on the solenoid plug tomorrow to see if it's hot. For the noise/movement from the solenoid when manually rotating the timer, I don't hear anything from it. What I failed to tell you is that I manually hold the lever connected to the solenoid up, preventing from opening the drain when in wash. After a few secs., the lever stays up position and the drain stays close. I have to do that every wash cycle. With or without the
plug connected to it. Doing that, it washes the dishes like a champ. Thanx Frank**

I sent you the wiring diagram to your email
I got it....it is the same one as on-line....but didn't show the timing chart ( what closes/opens and when in the timer )

I was trying to see if that Pink to 2 opens or closes....but since, **What I failed to tell you is that I manually hold the lever connected to the solenoid up, preventing from opening the drain when in wash. After a few secs., the lever stays up position and the drain stays close. I have to do that every wash cycle.**...you are manually holding the solenoid plunger up/out it *sounds* like the drain solenoid is not energized for washing and moves in/down for draining....so there shouldn't be power to that solenoid for washing...right? ( I e-mailed MC as well but haven't heard back )...still sounds like a spring or lever/arm is broken...

jeff.

Old 09-25-03, 03:52 AM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

G'day,

it energizes on drain only, think of it as a GE style
Official word from Maytag ( they own MC )....no power to the solenoid except when it should drain out....if that drain valve is opening up on it's own and pre-dumping the water....gotta think spring or broken flapper arm somewhere...IMHO

jeff.

Old 10-03-03, 01:08 PM
dealf
Visiting Guest
Hi Jeff,
Well, the flapper vale is bad. Thanx for that help . NOW, how do you remove the pump volute shaft??? I have removed the arm, grill, chopper blade and screen and the 3 screws that hold the shaft. It's somehow something else is preventing from removing it, as if I need to remove something. It's hitting against something else. Hope you know what that is that I need to do. I have the valve and spring for installation. Appreciate the help you have given me.
Frank

Old 10-03-03, 04:34 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hi,

NOW, how do you remove the pump volute shaft???
The shaft doesn't need to come off....does it....thought it would come off together.....

Pump volute with shaft for lower wash arm support.

Above -should- be held in with screw(s).

jeff.

Old 10-04-03, 09:38 PM
dealf
Visiting Guest
Hi Jeff,
I figured out how to install the valve. Have to remove the pump impeller so to lift the shaft assembly . That fix the problem. The valve was in a weak condition. No cracks or breaks. Install the new and whola...back to normal. Thanx for the advice throughout. I'll recommend this site for help on at least dishwashers.
Frank

Old 10-05-03, 05:19 AM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Frank,

Glad no more dishpan hands Thankx for the update!!

jeff.

Old 05-13-07, 10:04 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problems with the DU4500V

Hi,
I'm having a problem with my dishes coming out with soap scale and chunks of soap. I want to dissasemble the strainer and arm and clean them, but am not sure on how to take the arm off. I've found the schematic for the washer assembly, but still can't figure it out. Any help at all? Thank you in advance.
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: