GE icemaker quit, water dispenser OK

Old 09-28-03, 05:22 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE icemaker quit, water dispenser OK

I have a GE Fridge model #tfx25ppbb ww that has a water dispenser/icemaker.....

Just redid some plumbing (replaced some copper lines, installed a hot water heater), and also replaced the 1/4" compression nut/sleeve on the icemaker valve in the basement (as it was leaking at the old nut), and turned the water back on.........

The water dispenser works, but no ice. Does not seem that water is getting to the icemaker, but we also do not hear the icemaker cycling.........

Where should I start......know little about icemakers, lots about broken bones.

Checked inside the freezer, and the dispenser tube is clear, not frozen.

Old 09-28-03, 05:58 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi,

The water dispenser works, but no ice. Does not seem that water is getting to the icemaker,
Frozen over fill spout would have been my first thing to check for stopping the

from filling.

Poss all that plumbing work got some dust/dirt/solder in the fill valve and the icemaker 1/2 of the

fill valve isn't working??

The first fill valve directs the water to the filter, from there to the second

fill valve

where it splits the water to the chilled water and icemaker.

but we also do not hear the icemaker cycling
Make sure the icemaker wand arm is in the down ( on ) position and that the freezer temp is 15F or lower as that temp is needed to cycle the icemaker on.

jeff.

Last edited by Forums; 12-23-03 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-28-03, 08:54 PM
O
Silly me

In my haste to get the water back on, I didnt FULLY open up the tap valve, it was only about 1/2-3/4 the way open....obviosly restricting the water pressure.

Opened it up and BAM, we have ICE!!

thanks for your quick reply, glad it wasn't anything you mentioned!

Old 09-29-03, 03:26 AM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

So the icemaker must have been cycling....glad to hear nothing major!!

Thankx for the update!!

jeff.

Old 09-29-03, 08:50 AM
O
Spoke too soon

My wife threw some cubes in there.....I only looked quick, and there was ice.

No cycling, no water to the icemaker.....

Where should I begin??

Old 09-29-03, 01:36 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Smile

Soooooooooooooooo it is not working??!!??

No cycling, no water to the icemaker....
If the icemaker cannot run it won't fill....*might* be best to see why the icemaker isn't going around...

**Make sure the icemaker wand arm is in the down ( on ) position and that the freezer temp is 15F or lower as that temp is needed to cycle the icemaker on.**

Probably should confirm the icemaker is acually getting 110 volts with a volt meter into the icemaker plug as well....also is the gears ok under the icemakers front cover....large one breaks/cracks sometimes and the smaller one may break free from the motor shaft and stops turning the icemaker. To cycle this ice maker manually pull the rake fingers upwards with a firm constant pull. Look and listen to the ice maker. You should see the gears on the front of the ice maker start to turn and after a few seconds you can let go of the rake and it will continue on it's own. The ice maker will go through it's cycle. The fill portion is towards the end of the cycle.

jeff.

Old 09-29-03, 04:52 PM
O
turns, but no fill

Got the maker apart in the freezer, with the firm pull the rakes turn through their cycle, but no water at the end of the cycle....guess the next step is to get to the fill valve, huh?

Old 09-29-03, 05:02 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Smile

That does sound like a plan!....proper power to the fill valve but no water flow should indicate a bad valve. Your sure the fill elbow and spout is not frozen?

An overnight test to see if the icemaker is accually going from time to time might be to manually fill the icemaker with a cup and we will see if the icmeaker dunps those cubes once thye are frozen.

jeff.

Last edited by jeff1; 09-29-03 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-29-03, 07:17 PM
O
frozen.....?

I looked up the fill tube, and it doesn't look frozen, the lumen is patent. Could it be frozen further.......?? I think I can see to the entry point of the water inlet.....

Icemakers SUCK!

Old 09-29-03, 08:16 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Him

Not seeing ice is good....it is easy to check as the fill spout will pull out from the backside of the fridge to check.

Icemakers SUCK!
LOL!

They are great when they work and a pain in the arse when they do not!!

jeff.

Old 09-29-03, 08:30 PM
O
update

popped the fill tube out, no ice.........

Took off the rear panel of the fridge...

No I see what your talking about. Inlet water goes to one valve, then to a filter, then back down to the second fill valve, where it splits into the water dispenser and then icemaker.......

Unscrewed the tube coming from the icemaker fill valve, no water (or very little, residual in tube).........

Now I am going to test this badboy out.....

BTW, I filled the maker with a cup of water, and it just spit out pristine cubes, and cycled.....fortunately this happened when I was looking at the fill valves, NO SOUND whatsoever from the valve assembly when the thing cycled....

more to come

Old 09-29-03, 08:46 PM
O
cheater cord test

Looks like the cheater cord test was the defining test:

The water fill valve works, but no water from the ice maker side....

Now what do I need to replace this thing....went to ge.com and it says the part number is WR57X10012 and the think is $70 there!

I hope not that 55+ dollar valve you linked to earlier!!

Any other ideas??

Last edited by ortho_resident; 09-29-03 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-30-03, 03:14 AM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Smile

G'day,

I hope not that 55+ dollar valve you linked to earlier!!
That's one and the same...
http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=305394

or I found one slightly cheaper...
http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/cgi...0012&brand=GEH

filled the maker with a cup of water, and it just spit out pristine cubes
At least the -should- tell us the icemaker is capable of going on it's own...good!

jeff.

Last edited by Forums; 12-23-03 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-18-03, 10:51 PM
O
thanks Jeff, we now have ice!

I have to admit, I didnt think I could take apart my fridge and figure out why my machine quit making ice......

throught this forum I figured it out quickly, and replaced the dual outlet water valve and now have my icemaker back....

Jeff, thanks a bunch for all your help and for your informative website, i REALLY appreciate the help.

Old 04-10-05, 11:56 AM
mikeusaf
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Had the same problem but with the water dispenser

The Dual Water Outlet valve was stuck on the water side.

Just bought a new one from www.pcappliancerepair.com for much less than GE's site quoted.

Thank you to all for the information. I found the problem myself but this page allowed me to find a cheaper part.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 04-10-05, 12:17 PM
Wink

How they get you. That valve comes now as two together. Its like the same valve also on the back of the wash machine. When it was one valve it was used also on humidfiers on the furnace. You could also take them apart and clean it then . Now you cant.I had to just put on on my fridge. One unit two valves together and only one worked. Most of the time on the old ones it was just some lime or calcium on the valve shaft and you could clean it and they would work just fine.

ED

Old 01-06-08, 03:58 PM
C
whrilpool icemaker not getting water

Water is getting through the grill filter water valve & into the water dispencer but not the icemaker. We can't figure out why?

Old 01-06-08, 04:05 PM
C
No ice but water in despencer

We did replace the grill filter with a brand new one but it still is not making ice but we have water through the water dispencer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: