maytag washing machine broke

Old 12-31-03, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
maytag washing machine broke

problem with a maytag washing machine...it is approximately 5.5 years old...have never had a problem until now...it seems to get stuck in the rinse cycle...what it does...after the wash cycle...it spins out all the water...here is where the problem comes in...it begins to fill up, but never fills up...water just keeps running, but doesn't fill up...therefore, it doesn't rinse...

any ideas or suggestions....

thanks...michael

Old 01-01-04, 08:51 AM
re-mix
Visiting Guest
Smile

hobbs_m,

It is possible the water is syphoning out at that point. Drain hose sealed where it enters the drain pipe, drain hose is too low ( can fall on it's own ), drain hose has fallen to deep into the stand pipe. This should help.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 02-13-04 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-01-04, 09:04 AM
ok...thanks...that explains a lot...when we moved to this house about a year ago...we ran a load of clothes...water sprayed out of the drain like a geyser...old black iron drain pipes (2 inch) closed up a lot...had the roto rooters come out and try to clean them out...still the problem...so, i wrapped a lot of the black rubber tape around the drain and drain hose (creating air tight seal)...worked fine for about a year...just recently, the washing machine (which is on the same drain line as the kitchen sink) started backing up into the kitchen sink...the same time that we started noticing the problem with the washing machine filling and filling and filling...i can't unwrap the pipe because water sprays out during the rinse and spin cycle...

so...this is definitely a plumbing problem and not a washing machine problem...

so...i need to replace the plumbing???

Old 01-01-04, 09:12 AM
W
I'm not convinced on that. How high is the end of your drain hose? Is it higher then the top of your washing machine? Half as high? While the washer is adding water take the drain hose out of the drain pipe and hold it as high as you can I'm willing to bet it will still be allowing water to come out. Now, move the dail forward a touch and see if it starts to fill. I think your problem is that it isn't coming out of rinse. Is the tub stopped and still filling?

Old 01-01-04, 10:33 AM
re-mix
Visiting Guest
hobbs_m,

so...this is definitely a plumbing problem and not a washing machine problem...
A slow draining house pipe will fill up with water and burp out the top of the stand pipe. With the washing machine drain hose sealed tightly the water can get sucked out and the filling water just goes into the washer and back out down the drain. Snaked out drain(s) or new piping is very possible for sure.

R

Old 01-01-04, 10:44 PM
KurtDixon
Visiting Guest
The syphoning problem IS because of the taped drain hose. And the spraying problem is because the drain is clogged. So take off the tape and get someone to clean or replace your drain, that is the only correct way to do it.

Old 01-02-04, 06:11 AM
W
I guess I didn't understand the problem, sorry about that

Old 01-02-04, 08:20 AM
my drain pipe in the wall is below the top of the washer, but more then half way up the machine...we haven't had a problem with the washing machine until i started noticing the water backing up into the sink here in the last month...so, i don't think the height of the drain has anything to do with it here...just curious, how high is the drain in the wall suppose to be???

Old 01-02-04, 10:13 AM
re-mix
Visiting Guest
hobbs_m,

just curious, how high is the drain in the wall suppose to be???
Usually a min of 30-36 inches in height.....approx at loading lid or top panal level is best.

R

Old 01-02-04, 05:22 PM
KurtDixon
Visiting Guest
Highest water level or higher (like re-mix said, cabinet height is safest.)
But within reason, a washer pump won't be able to drain much water up a 10 foot high drain hose

Old 01-15-04, 08:51 PM
now what???

if anyone gets this post, please reply...

washing machine seems to get stuck in rinse cycle...water keeps filling, but does not fill up...it did this for a while and then stopped doing it...slow draining pipes also...

now...it quit for about a week, but now is doing it again...

question: how can i tell for sure if it is a plumbing (syphoning problem) or a washing machine timer issue???

thanks...michael

Old 08-12-05, 07:04 PM
rinsing problem

Was just looking at some old post. Ever get the problem solved? curious to know. Sounds to me like a blockage in the drain pipe past the sink. This is allowing the water to back up in th esink. The tape on the washer drain is allowing a siphoning action, compounding the problem. If the pipe is old cast iron, see fi you cna find a product called "clobber". Hydrochloric acid or something like that. Very powerful! May have to have a linscensed plumber to get it for you. Read instructions carefully and follow them! Do not get on skin or look in pipe while this stuff is working, it can bubble back! May be safer just to go past the sink drain and snake the line out. Hehe, bet you have the rpoblem solved already, but I would like to know how close I came to the problem.

Old 08-13-05, 07:59 AM
fixed the problem with new pipe...turns out, i had a water leak that destroyed some of my subfloor...had to rip it all up under the washing machine and dryer area (the water leak came from a faulty copper solder joint under house)...thought i would go ahead and replace the drain from the washing machine down to the main trunk under the house...interestingly enough, the old galvanized drain was a 2 inch pipe with about a half-inch hole down the middle...it was closed up that much...removed it all, put in a new vent pipe and new line to the 4 inch cast iron...removed the tape and raised the drain up to the recommended 36 inches from the floor...works like a charm now...don't have to tape it and don't worry about water backing up...

Old 08-14-05, 06:41 AM
drain problem

Good deal! Old galvinized pipe will definetly close up due to rust and/or water deposits over time. Glad you got it fixed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: