Fridge/freezer in garage

Old 02-06-04, 01:28 PM
robandrews
Visiting Guest
Fridge/freezer in garage

We have a side-by-side in the kitchen (old but works fine) and a 2 year old (GE I think) freeser on top unit in our unheated garage. My wife just went to get meat out of the garage unit and it was thawed. We threw $30 of meat away and I'm trying to figure out what's wrong. I saw on this site that a fridge in unheated areas with an air temperature below 60 won't work right - I think this may be my issue. The compressor kicks on when I hold the door open. As far as I can tell everything is making the right sounds. And the fridge is keeping our milk and pop cold.
It is cold in cental Indiana right now - and my garage is undoubtedly below 60 degrees.
What's a good idea at this point? I can't take it back as it's two years old. I can't heat the garage as there's no venting from the furnace. Is there any way to fool my compressor into thinking it's warmer than it really is? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-04, 05:41 PM
appliancepresid
Visiting Guest
You won't be fooling the compressor it is the thermostat that is not allowing it to cycle on due to the cold ambient air temp.