Whirlpool side by side, no ice.

Old 02-09-04, 01:06 PM
bigpoppax2
Visiting Guest
Whirlpool side by side, no ice.

I have a side by side fridge/freezer and the ice maker just quit. I still get motion and the innerds work when you push the ice bar. I'm not getting any water through the solenoid. What should the readings on the solenoid be, checking with a meter?

If you need the model number I'll post it when I get home.

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-04, 08:41 PM
appliancepresid
Visiting Guest
Hello,
Did you have water turned off to house recently,
also if you have Ice and water in the door you can switch the wires on the solenoid press the water switch in front door then check if water entered icemaker,
if not might want to check if fill tube is frozen

Old 02-10-04, 02:16 AM
bigpoppax2
Visiting Guest
No the water to the house has not been turned off. I have checked and there is water up to the valve. But not after. The water part is fine and I do have power to the icemaker. When you pucsh the ice arm everything works as it should. Except there is no ice.

Old 02-10-04, 04:55 AM
appliancepresid
Visiting Guest
What I mean by if you have water in the door also,
down at the water inlet valves, switch the wires from one solenoid to the other, if when pressing the water dispenser you get water into the icemaker indicates a new fill valve is needed.
it's a wuick and easy check
hope that clarifies things

Old 02-22-04, 05:07 AM
bigpoppax2
Visiting Guest
Well I got back into town and did that check. Lo and behold I got water into the ice maker.

Where is the fill valve located and where can I buy a new one?

Thanks a million for your help on this one.
Joe

Old 02-22-04, 05:43 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Joe

The part or part needed can be purchased at any local appliance part store in the area. They are listed in the phone book. Be sure you take the make, model and serial numbers with you.

Old 02-22-04, 06:44 PM
appliancepresid
Visiting Guest
Hi,
Your fill valve is the water inlet valve ( dual solenoid in most cases) turn off water and power and replace. make a drawing of wires where they are attached. check with local parts house with make and model # of frig.

Old 02-22-04, 06:46 PM
bigpoppax2
Visiting Guest
Sharp advice, thanks for the reply, but I still don't know where said fill valve is located. So I can remove and reinstall with a new part.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Old 02-23-04, 06:55 AM
bigpoppax2
Visiting Guest
Let me ask one more question to make sure of what I'm doing. When I tested the fill valve the way I was instructed, it seems that there should also be a set of contacts or a pressure switch that will tell the solenoid to let some water into the ice tray.

What I am thinking is that by using the water dispenser to fill the ice tray, I just tested and found that whatever is supposed to tell the solenoid to fill the ice tray is bad, not the fill valve. Cause the fill valve worked when I told it to (using the water dispenser set of contacts)

Someone tell me if I'm way off base here.

Thanks
Joe

Old 02-23-04, 10:47 AM
appliancepresid
Visiting Guest
That is correct you were checking the solenoid , by applying power to the valve it pulled up the plunger and allowed water to enter. your valve is good problem is going to be in ice maker module . ( you checked fill valve) IT IS OK