Oven Digital Temperature Display

Old 02-11-04, 10:06 AM
D Simoneaux
Visiting Guest
Oven Digital Temperature Display

I have a GE Self Cleaning Oven appx 14 years old in very good condition except when I choose a temperature setting of 475 degrees on the digital display the temperature shown on the display is 440 degrees at the very beginning. It does not start at "0" degrees. The only way I can get a lower temperature such as 250-425 degree is to set the oven to 550 degrees. The oven heats up and I monitor it with my oven thermometer. When it gets to 325 degrees I turn the display down to a lower setting and the elements turn off. I time the settings and will bump the temperature back up to 550 degrees for a few minutes to maintain the 325 degrees. I spoke to GE's customer service and they told me to turn the oven off at the breaker box for 30 minutes and it would reset the display---but this didn't work. Is this something I can fix.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-04, 01:38 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello; D Simoneaux

Sounds like bad news. Most likely the main circuit board is defective. Replacement is the only solution. The local appliance dealer may have alternate solutions as may other members replying within the forum topic.

For more detailed information etc. read the recent postings within this forum. The questions already asked describe like or similarly related problem descriptions as your question.

These prior postings and any or all the replies offered within them contain almost all the required information needed pertaining to the many potential and or possible problems with the appliance like your describing.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, downloadable repair and or owners manuals which may be available online.

Another possibility may be to search the manufacturers web site for a downloadable version of the owners or service manual. The file will be a pdf file opened with Adobe which also needs to be downloaded but worth having the Adobe once obtained.

Check back on your question several more times. Other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas, suggestions, test and or repair methods.

If you need further assistance, use the reply button to add any additional information or questions. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."