Electric Washer - Agitator does not work

Old 02-14-04, 08:28 AM
aprupert
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Electric Washer - Agitator does not work

My washer will fill, drain and spin, but when it gets to the agitate cylce, the motor spins and the washer does not agitate. Is there a separate agitator motor?

The belt is worn (I can smell it burning) but the spin does work. If I replace the belt will the agitator work?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-04, 03:30 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello aprupert and Welcome to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The agitator may be bound up. Remove the cap on it's top, than the nut or bolt which holds it inplace. Remove the entire agitator. Check for anything beneath it which may be causing the problem.

The belt may be too worn to grip the pulleys. Inspect it and replace it if there is any doubts. Easy to do and not to costly.

Also inspect the pulleys. They should rotate easily. If not, replacement may be the only opition.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, downloadable repair and or owners manuals which may be available online.

Another possibility may be to search the manufacturers web site for a downloadable version of the owners or service manual. The file will be a pdf file opened with Adobe which also needs to be downloaded but worth having the Adobe once obtained.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance part stores and dealers are listed in the phone book.

Check back on your question several more times. Other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas, suggestions, test and or repair methods.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 02-18-04, 05:22 PM
aprupert
Visiting Guest
Agitator still does not work

I replaced the belt and let it run through a cycle. The agitator still does not work. The motor and pullies spin, but it does not move the agitator assembly. Could the agitator hub nut need tightened? I did notice that the assembly does move 1/16 clockwize / counter-clockwize manually.

Or could it be the transmission assembly?

Old 02-20-04, 04:31 PM
appliancepresid
Visiting Guest
Hello,
If your washer is the old style belt drive whirlpool, you will have a control magnet assembly ( wig wag) this is two solenoids mounted in a bracket that is one the center shaft of tranny, when it should agitate the solenoid with the yellow wire should engage and lift the plunger, it may even have a broken plunger und the wig wag or plunger pin look in that area for problems too.

Old 02-21-04, 11:42 AM
aprupert
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Thanks for the advice

Thanks to everyone that offered advice. I gave up on this one and bought a new washer.