Washer runs in spin cycle as soon as you turn it on.

Old 02-15-04, 09:40 PM
Carl
Visiting Guest
Washer runs in spin cycle as soon as you turn it on.

Hey I have an old GE washing machine and have worked on it before but not too extensivly. The machine's pump and motor are in fine working order but as soon as you turn it on it goes to spin cycle no matter where the dial is. It trys to wash but spins and the pump sucks all the water out it stops and then refills due to the water sensor and repeats. uses about 10 times as much water as it should? I can't find the problem. There is a selenoid type switch near the motor that works fine(I have no idea what this does). I have worked on a newer model that was much easier to understand. It seems like the motor should disconnect from the pump in some way before entering the wash cycle but it doesn't. It doesn't even try to agitate, it just fills with water...spins the water out until the sensor tells the washer to stop and fill back up again and repeats..Very Annoying
Thanks for any info.
Carl

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-04, 05:15 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Carl and Welcome to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Very possible the timer control is defective and internally stuck in more than one cycle at the same time. Since the timer controls all the functions, most likely it is the cause of the problem. Replacing it should than resolve the problem.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance part stores and dealers are listed in the phone book.

Check back on your question several more times. Other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas, suggestions, test and or repair methods.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 02-17-04, 04:48 PM
appliancepresid
Visiting Guest
Hi Carl,
I was wondering if you put this in a wash cycle does the unit try to agitate and spin at the same time, Keep lid open and press the plunger on lid switch to try and see if this is happening, you may have a tranny problem even.

Old 02-17-04, 04:57 PM
Carl
Visiting Guest
I took apart the timer unit on this old beast and found that the arm that has all these little pins that activate the switches had a peice broken off so it was totally disfunctional. I fixed it and it works fine. Thanks for the help.
Carl