Whirlpool Refrigerator ?

Old 02-18-04, 12:55 PM
jeswon
Visiting Guest
Whirlpool Refrigerator ?

Hello, I have a Whirlpool refrigerator/freezer with the freezer on top. The freezer has an ice maker. About a month ago I started noticing small puddles of water on the top shelves of my frig. Sometimes the water drips down the back and collects under the vegetable draws. I'd wipe it up each morning and usually there would be another puddle the next day. Also, sometimes the puddles on the top shelves would be frozen. None of the food or drinks in the frig would be frozen though. A few days ago I noticed a nasty smell coming from the refrigerator. It's stronger when you open the freezer and smells like a chemical. I cleaned out the frig and can't find anything to cause a smell. Also, everything seems to be functioning okay as far as staying cold and making ice. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the puddles and smell?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-04, 05:51 PM
ballandchain
Visiting Guest
I have the same problem. Whirlpool Gold (Freezer on top/Frig on bottom). In the frig, I took the plastic cover behind the lights off. There is a styrofoam shaft that is covered by plastic slide to regulate the freezer temp. I remove some ice that kept it open.

I shut off the supply water for the ice maker (just to rule out the ice maker). There is a tube that empties condensation to a pan on the bottom of the frig. If you look at the rear of the frig...bottom left. Use a flashlight. The tude could be clogged (with ice or ?).

Will post again as I get results.

Old 02-18-04, 06:11 PM
jeswon
Visiting Guest
I already checked the tube on the back and it dosen't appear to be clogged. It was hard to see the very bottom, even with a flashlight as it's inside the back of the frig. There isn't any water in the tube so I don't think it's clogged.

Old 02-18-04, 06:11 PM
cclshome
Visiting Guest
I get similar symptoms from my old reliable Whirlpool whenever ice builds up and clogs the freezer drain.

My unit has a plastic assembly below the rear of the freezer floor which acts as a funnel. It drains water from the freezer compartment (which results during automatic defrost cycles) into a plastic tube on the back of the fridge. As described in the previous post, the tube leads down to an evaporation tray in the bottom of the fridge. If this 'funnel' or tube gets clogged with ice, then water will drip into the fridge.

To clear the ice short-term, I power-off the fridge, empty the freezer contents into a cooler, and blow hot air from a hair dryer all around the 'funnel' until the ice melts. This takes about 5 minutes. (Don't melt any plastic.) Then power back up and reinstall the freezer contents.

To keep it clear long-term, I slowly pour a cupful of hot water and baking soda through the funnel and tube during my annual cleaning of the fridge. (Vacuum the dust from the coils while you're at it. My wife would like a new fridge, but an annual cleaning helps keep the old clunker going.)

Good luck.

Old 02-19-04, 07:39 PM
ballandchain
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I just finished putting it back together...

Shut down the freezer and took out the freezer tray. There are 4 screws on my model that holds the base that the tray sits on. Just like the previous post...ice was built up in the rear and the drain hole was iced over.

Thanks.