Whirlpool washer grease spots

Old 02-23-04, 09:24 PM
washernut
Visiting Guest
Whirlpool washer grease spots

Hi,

My Whirlpool HD washer (WT42001 type 107) occasionally leaves black grease spots on our laundry. After removing the agitator I can see a little bit of grease on the seal of the driveshaft. How hard is it to replace this seal? Or do I need to do something else? Costs?
Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-04, 11:42 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes Received: 5
Hello washernut and Welcome to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Best place to obtain the information, parts, any special tools needed, remove and install procedures is the local appliances parts stores.

May not be all that difficult to fix but always helps to have the repair procdures at hand. Check the mfg's web site for a downloadable pdf file containing the repair or service info.

Check back on your question several more times. Other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas, suggestions, test and or repair methods.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. (Helping out in this forum topic)
Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 02-25-04, 05:06 PM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
how old is the washer ?sometimes it just as cheap to replace the unit .if i remember correctly what i heard is when thr tranny starts leaking it is about to go out ...thats my opion.

Old 02-26-04, 07:43 AM
washernut
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by fordman30
how old is the washer ?sometimes it just as cheap to replace the unit
Hi,

Thanks for the answers. Local appliance store was not very helpful in telling me whether I can get the grease seals as a separate part or have to replace the whole transmission. Age of the washer is unknown as it came with the house, but my guess is at least 8-10 years. Therefore, if I can replace the seals I'll give that a try, but I am not willing to pour a lot of money into an old washer.