Hook up Ice maker

Old 02-28-04, 02:04 AM
MargieCampbell
Visiting Guest
Hook up Ice maker

We have a new refrigerator with water dispenser & ice maker. We hooked up the water line but can't get water to feed to the fridge. The line is the type where you twist the handle to puncture a hole in the line to allow water to flow to the fridge. I know that a hole was made, but am getting NO water at all. It's a direct connect to the cold water line. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-04, 04:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
After you punctured the line did you back the pin out? You have to turn the handle back the other way intill it stops. More then likely the piercing pin is blocking the water flow. Also, once you do get water to the frig it will take a couple of minutes for the water tank to fill. Make sure you get water at the door before turning on the ice maker.

Old 02-28-04, 07:29 AM
MargieCampbell
Visiting Guest
water to frige

Yes, we backed the pin out. nothing happened. I even thought I might have put too much pressure on the clamp that holds the pin connection to the main cold water line & loosened that a bit. I may have to start over & use a different type of connection, like a split connector so the water line to the frige can be hooked to same connection as the main cold water line, not onto the cold. Tha is how the dishwasher is hooked to the hot water line.
I was just not sure if this would give too much water, but that should not be a problem (I hope). Home Depot did a really nice job on the kitchen, they just don't install the water line to the frige & we couldn't afford the cost of the plumber when we were all done.

Thanks for the suggestions... I will recheck the lines in a few moments.

Marge

Old 02-28-04, 08:10 AM
Back off the fitting where the water line connects at the piercing valve just enough to see if there is really water coming out of the valve as well.

Old 02-28-04, 08:19 AM
MargieCampbell
Visiting Guest
Ok, will give that a try. I know there is water flowing into the line we are connected to. The water comes out fine when faucet is used.
Good water pressure, etc.

Old 03-06-04, 05:27 AM
stupid question

I know this is a stupid question but are you sure the ice arm is down?The wire needs to be down for it to fill.

Old 03-06-04, 07:45 AM
MargieCampbell
Visiting Guest
In my family, a valid question. Yes the arm is down. Well, not now, because I am still not getting water to the frige. It is a new GE, with water & ice dispenser in the door. If I am not getting water to the door, not getting to the ice maker. I thought that the ice maker might need to be on to start the water to the door, but that didn't help either. I disconnected the hose from the frige to see if I could force water through from the frige end to cause a syphon effect, nothing. I thought I might have a kink in the line, so pulled out cabinet drawers, the toe kick from the dishwasher, but there is no extra line to cause a kink & all is open to the spigot. Just not getting a good piercing at the connection. Bought a different connector & hoping that will solve the problem.

Thanks
Marge

Old 03-07-04, 04:39 PM
appliancepresid
Visiting Guest
If this is the first time hooking to the water line your water in the door feature has a resevoir that has to fill first.

hold the water disp. lever in the door for a minute or so then let it rest try agaqin for a minute hopefully water eill soon follow.

Old 03-07-04, 09:50 PM
MargieCampbell
Visiting Guest
I am just not getting water in the line at all. I think that when I pierced the main line, there is just not a large enough hole, or maybe the line was never pierced all the way. I tried holding the water dispenser in for 3 minutes - 5 minutes... several different times (instructions said 3 minutes). I even debated taping the vacume to the hose and letting it do the syphoning for me... well... almost... one gets a bit desperate after a few days... We are just going to add a different connection to the main line & see if that fixes it.
Marge

Old 03-08-04, 04:01 AM
This is a copper line you are trying to pierce, not PVC right?
I've installed numerous water line kits and once in a while you'll get a difficult case. If all else fails. Get another piercing valve. Or install a T into the line and add a 1/4" valve to hook you water line up to.

Old 03-08-04, 07:07 PM
MargieCampbell
Visiting Guest
No, It's plastic, the flexible stuff with nylon in it.. like a transparent garden hose. That's why I think that I haven't pierced the line correctly. We have a t connection now.. and will install that this week. Lon cringes when I do things myself... so wait till he's out of the house for a spell. He never knows what is going to be different when he gets home... makes life more exciting! (more like it gives him a reason to tell me to keep my hands off stuff).

Marge

Old 03-09-04, 04:20 AM
OK, well, if I knew that from the get go I would have known your problem! You will need to use a T in there. Piercing valves are meant for copper only. Let us know how you make out. Don't get wet!