Sears Coldspot Frostless Freezer

Old 03-05-04, 04:27 AM
Weisscracker
Visiting Guest
Sears Coldspot Frostless Freezer

My 20-year old frostless freezer will stop working periodically. It will completely stop working for about half the day (and reach about 60 degrees), then will start working again and reach about 5 degrees. That is about as cold as I've seen it get. The funny thing is, if I turn the freezer completely off through the "cold control", it will keep running. If it is currently not running and I turn the temperature colder, it still will not kick on. The fan and/or thermostadt is not frozen, I have checked that. Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-04, 05:37 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Weisscracker

A couple of random possibilities which may or may not apply.

Check the doors light switch, if there is a light. The light switch does more than simply turn on the light in some frigs so it may apply to a freezer also.

There is a time delay in the light control or one in the same circuit. When the door is opened and the light is turned on, current also goes to the control which turns on the compressor.

Ever notice that in a refrig? Happens but can be overlooked or not noticed by most users. Learned that trick years ago with my frig and freezer.

Another possibility could be a defective defrost control unit. After the daily defrost cycle, the timer gets stuck, does not advance to the next cycle which turns back on the compressor.

The compressor may be at fault, the compressors startup solenoid and or any part which jumps the starter or compressor.

That's about all the ideas or possible causes I can offer.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance part stores and dealers are listed in the phone book.

Check back on your question several more times. Other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas, suggestions, test and or repair solutions.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. (Helping out in this forum topic)
Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."