Fridgidair Fridge/Freezer Not Working Properly

Old 03-06-04, 08:37 AM
jrp30
Visiting Guest
Fridgidair Fridge/Freezer Not Working Properly

Model # is FRS24MWG.

The freezer is not distributing cold air. It runs, but the items in the freezer do not freeze. Box is about five years old. The problem has been gradual.

Can someone please point me to a document that will explain how to troubleshoot the problem myself (hopefully something for a non-expert). :-)

Thanks!

Old 03-06-04, 06:53 PM
appliancepresid
Visiting Guest
Hello,
I will assume this is a frost free model.

so first thing to look for is if there is frost on the back wall or floor of freezer.

next make sure fan in freezer is running.

then at the bottom back of the refrigerator there is another fan motor called a condensor fan motor make sure it is running.

also at the bottom make sure the coils are clean may need to vacuum underfrig

Old 03-07-04, 07:17 AM
jrp30
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is a frost-free model. At one point there was quite a bit of frost on the back wall. However, as the freezer started cooling less and less, the frost (obviously) melted.

The freezer fan is running, but I have yet to check the condensor fan. Also, re: cleaning the coils, what is the appropriate method for doing this?

Thanks!

Old 03-07-04, 04:27 PM
appliancepresid
Visiting Guest
Hi,
cleaning the condensor coils are generally done by removing the lower front kickplate, your local appliance parts house should have a coil brush it is a long handled round brush that is used to remove dust and dirt from coils the vacuum up debri.

you can also go from behind on some models to clean coils.

Old 03-09-04, 12:44 PM
jrp30
Visiting Guest
I was able to remove the back panel to determine if there is frost on the cooling coils, and there is not a bit of frost on them. The fan is running fine.

However, there is a large block of ice (about the size of a small football) on one of the wires coming from the fan and the top most coil (where it begins). In other words where the wire is connected to where the coils begin is covered with a block of ice.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 03-09-04, 12:57 PM
appliancepresid
Visiting Guest
Hi jrp30,

Sounds like you have described a restriction in the sealed system.

time for a tech to come out or new frig. depends on which is cheaper and age of unit

Old 03-09-04, 01:02 PM
jrp30
Visiting Guest
Interesting. Can you please elaborate on what a "restriction in the sealed system" is?

If this is the problem, you feel it's something that cannot be fixed by a non-technician? The unit is about 5 years old, and I paid well over a $1,000 for it. Can't see a technician charging that much . . . at least I HOPE not.

I'm pretty gritty, and don't mind spending the time and money to research what's involved with fixing this myself, if the information is indeed available somewhere.

Thanks again for your reply.

Old 03-09-04, 01:10 PM
appliancepresid
Visiting Guest
Hi jrp30,
A restriction in the line .. lets say a blockage in that coil where the freon only can go so far then it freezes up at that point.
could be compressor burn out even.

I say time for a tech because to work on a sealed system(freon,compressor) you need to be EPA certified for refrigerant recovery.and charging. your system may still be under the warranty most sealed systems today are covered by a 5-10 year warranty.

it is worth the money for the tech to come out . since age is young

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: