Whirlpool washer leak

Old 03-07-04, 07:21 PM
rchris50
Visiting Guest
Question Whirlpool washer leak

I have a Whirlpool clothes washer that is about 7 years old. I haven't had any problems with it until now. The other day there was a load of clothes that was off balance and the washer thumped a few times. I straightened out the load and finished it. Later I noticed water leaking from under the washer. I pulled out the washer and checked the hose fittings (both cold and hot water feeds) and the drain hose. Those connections all seemed fine and I wasn't able to observe any leaks from there. The leak appears to be coming from underneath the washer (I think during the spin (drain) cycle. I tipped the washer back and looked under it and observed some water dripping down from the bottom of the motor assembly (near where the pump is for draining the washer). However, I can't see for sure where the source of the leak is. There are no belts that I can see, there is a transmission type of assembly to the left of the motor which attaches to the center of the tub. On the right side of the motor is a pump assembly which has a hose from the tub to the pump and another hose from the pump to the drain connection on the back of the washer. There doesn't appear to be any leak from either of the hoses or their connections. I can't afford to have a repairman come out. I would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions and/or advice. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-04, 09:03 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Rick

Based on the problem description, the water leak only happens when the pump is running pumping out the water. So the best way to see where the water leaks from, is to remove the back panel(s) and wash a load.

When the pump runs pumping out the water, the location of the leak should be visable... Most likely at a fitting or hose.

Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, downloadable repair and or owners manuals which may be available online.

Another possibility may be to search the manufacturers web site for a downloadable version of the owners or service manual. The file will be a pdf file opened with Adobe, which also needs to be downloaded but worth having the Adobe once obtained.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance part stores and dealers are listed in the phone book.

Search within this forum on the topic of washer leaks, etc. Doing so should bringup washer topics, since washer or whirpool is the key search words.

Check back on your question several more times. Other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas, suggestions, test and or repair methods.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. (Helping out in this forum topic)
Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 03-09-04, 12:53 PM
appliancepresid
Visiting Guest
Hi Rchris50,
Remove the cabinet and look around the pump they generally leak around the shaft.

on your direct drive model the cabinet comes off.
directions:
to remove the cabinet unplug washer, stand in front look at the console you should see 2 phillips screws one on each end of the console, remove those screws. then lift the console back (flip to the rear) you will see a plug connector in center of cabinet when the console is flipped back unplug the 3 wire connector. now you will also see 2 brass colored spring clips one on each side remove with a straight blade screwdriver. you can now pull cabinet towards you and away.