Ice Maker Line

Old 03-15-04, 11:05 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ice Maker Line

We want to setup an extra refrigerator with ice maker in our laundry room. Is there some way we can hook the ice maker line to the cold water faucet that supplies the washing machine?

Old 03-15-04, 11:20 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Jerry

Sure it's possible. Cold water supply is cold water supply regardless of it's source from any pipe in the house.

The question is what kind of pipe. I cannot answer that question exactly but it is a question which can be asked at your local hardware store where the line and connection device will need to be purchased.

Depending upon the water supply line determines how the connection to the pipe is done. Copper is easiest. The connection device is self threading into the line as well as self sealing.

Iron or steel pipe requires drill a hole first, than installing the clamping water tap device over the hole in the pipe. Neither installation types are difficult to do and make a great do it yourself project...

If you need further assistance, use the reply button to add any additional information or questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Business Management Service.
Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 03-15-04, 12:20 PM
J
Ice Maker Line

Since the refrigerator will be adjacent to the washing machine I wonder if there isn't some kind of gadget that would fit onto the threaded faucet that the washer uses for the cold water. In lack of other words a kind of shared tap thing.

Old 03-15-04, 04:17 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: Jerry

Never seen anything like it. May ask at the local hardware store where you're going to have to buy the line and water tapping device. May have that adapter type part available.

Just got a thought...(idea) there are some faucets that do have a water tap built into them... If one is available, you will need only to change out the existing faucet to install the new one.

The faucets are used outdoors. Used to connect swamp coolers to water sources. Those coolers with the filter pads inside and a pumpt that circulates the water over them while a fan blower forces the cool air into the house.

Inquire about one of those faucets/spigots. See. Working together we both come up with maybe a great way and alterative method of connecting that ice maker line...

I'll have to remember this for the next member whom has a like problem installing and ice maker line. Post back the results of the installetion when you have it compeleted and how you did it.

Sharing it with all other readers is how we all learn.

Good Luck
Sharp Advice
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Old 03-18-04, 07:48 AM
J
Ice Maker Line

Problem solved. It was really very simple.

I got a brass Y that attaches to the faucet allowing two different discharges. (This was actually in the garden section as it is normally used for a garden hose) One goes to the washing machine and the other to the ice maker. I got a gadget at Lowe's that attaches to one side of the Y reducing it to 1/4 discharge and this is what I attached the ice maker line to. I hope this is clear as I don't know the correct terminology for these things.

Jerry

Old 03-19-04, 06:26 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: Jerry

Terminology does not matter as much as getting to a solution. The "Y" tap device was what I was thinking of but could not explain it correctly either...haha.

Those parts are also used to tap into water supplies for swamp coolers and ice makers on frigs'.

The objective was to resolve the problem. You did that. Thanks for posting back the method and the results. In doing so we all learn more by sharing.

Web Site Host & Forums Monitor
Sharp Advice

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: