Unbalanced washer- shaking itself to death!

Old 03-20-04, 05:12 PM
asennad
Visiting Guest
Unbalanced washer- shaking itself to death!

I have a Hotpoint washing machine. Came with the house. 10-15 years old. It shakes as it is unbalanced even when empty of clothes!

What would cause this? How do I fix it? What keeps the inner tub upright/centered, springs? Do they need to be replaced?

The dryer is on a flat surface and legs have been adjusted for level.

Old 03-21-04, 08:13 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: asennad

Chances are the springs have lost some of there tension over the years. May have adjustments and may not.

If there are adjustments, tension each equally. If no tensioning adjustment is available, new springs will have to be installed.

Doubt the balance weights on the tub came off. They are usually welded on but not always. Look for them or one or more in the bottom of the cabinet. May or not be any.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance part stores and dealers are listed in the phone book.

Check back on your question several more times. Other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas, suggestions, etc.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. (Helping out in this forum topic)
Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 03-22-04, 12:06 PM
asennad
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the response.

Pulled the back and found no springs. Called the parts store and they said the machine has "damper fins". The fins are simply 3/16 sheet metal. There are clamps with pads that hold the fins, like your thumb and forefinger holding a piece of paper.

The fins would be hard to replace. Riveted on. They look polished where the pads contact them.

Should I replace the clamps and pad material if I can find them?

Old 03-22-04, 01:08 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hi: asennad

Balance weights instead of tensioning springs. Might be worth a try, if the cost for relacements is not to costly and the parts are available. Not likely but possibly.

Too costly is relevent only to you and based on the age of the machine. Being worth the costs and the time spent.

If you are able to locate the parts and do install them, post back the final results. Doing so would share the info with all readers.

Good Luck

Old 03-22-04, 01:15 PM
asennad
Visiting Guest
You are not familiar with the fin damper system I described?

It would be alot of work to replace the parts. I need to know if it will fix the problem before I go ahead.

Old 03-24-04, 12:26 PM
Adrian
Visiting Guest
Arsennad,

I had an older GE washer that also had the dampner fins that you described, but these fins were only to maintain alignment of the tub and prevent it from rotating.

It still had a counter weight for balance and it was simply a heavy crescent shaped of cement with two holes and bolted to the bottom of the tub.

You may not be able to see the weight by removing the back cover, you may have to lay the machine on it's side to view the counterweight.

Good Luck,
Adrian

Old 03-24-04, 08:18 PM
asennad
Visiting Guest
Yes I see the counter weight. Looks OK to me.

Old 03-25-04, 09:11 AM
Adrian
Visiting Guest
Hi again asennad,

It just occured to me while reading your reply.

If the counter weight appears ok as you state.......
It is possible that one or more of the fins are stuck within the vertical guides, which would in effect negate the counter balance weight and allow the washer to shake like crazy.

You might try spraying them well with WD-40 and manually moving the drum to make sure it is free and try spinning again....dunno....may help.

Good Luck again
Adrian

Old 03-25-04, 11:15 AM
asennad
Visiting Guest
I suspect that over time the dampers wear and loose their ability to dampen.

Old 03-25-04, 11:46 AM
bskelly
Visiting Guest
unbalanced washer - shaking itself to death

Arsonnad,
Did you check the agitator shaft to see if
it is bent, I have the same problem on the
same type of washer and am trying to get the agitator out so I can straighten the
shaft. Mine shakes badly when empty,
but am having a bad time getting the agitator off the post. Any suggestions?
Bill

Old 03-25-04, 04:54 PM
appliancepresid
Visiting Guest
Hi Asennad,
the dampers you speak of can be replaced they are the black little pads inbetween the metal plates at the bottom.

you can also remove the top and look down at the suspension cables if yours has such mitems maybe the cable is off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: