Washing Machine Grinding Noises

Old 04-25-04, 06:42 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washing Machine Grinding Noises

Bought a used washing machine about 3 months ago - Inglis Superb PLus - probably 10 years old - couldn't find a model or serial number.

Today it made a grinding noise when it started the spin cycle & water leaked on the floor during the cycle. Not a lot but enough.

I've never worked on a washer before. I have tools & am not afraid to use 'em.

Can somebody please get me started in the right direction?

Chris

Old 04-25-04, 10:11 AM
E
If someone could just point me to a web site, I would really appreciate it.

(I can't even figure out how to get the back off this thing!)

Old 04-25-04, 11:00 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Chris

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for problem possibilities, solving methods, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, downloadable repair manuals, etc which may be available online.

Search the manufacturers web site for a >downloadable version of the owners or service manual.< The file will be a pdf file opened with Adobe, which also needs to be downloaded first but worth having once obtained.

>Do an online search for the model by appliance brand name< or use a search engine web site like goggle etc. This web site also has help info. All of which can be found in the >banner above< at the top of this page.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Many dealers and or appliance parts stores are willing to provide help to sell parts..

Appliance part stores and dealers are listed in the phone book. May find some help on the pages listed at the top of this page in the banner topics.

The machine may have developed a pump leak. Which may have been indicated by the grinding noise. Coupled with the water leakage it is reasonable to assume such is possible.

And I am sure you also know the rest of the story...
Check back on your question several more times. Other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas, suggestions and or repair methods.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck.
Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 04-25-04, 11:08 AM
E
Thanks Sharp I have tried searching ... all morning actually but no luck with manuals or guides.

Will keep checking back here:

Old 04-25-04, 11:29 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi Chris

If searching found nothing of value, locate the model and serial numbers for now. Than locate the appliances parts stores in your area. Write them down also. Soon as possible visit the store(s).

Asking in those places is very likely to provide help. Doing so is in their best interests. They want to sell parts. They now discovered (acquired by product purchase) a new customer. They want to keep & developed that new customer....YOU!...HAPPY...and remaining a repeat customer....A Win-Win Situation....

You may be or I hope you will be, surprised to learn that appliance part stores often print out parts of service manuals, pis of parts etc, for customers whom ask. Proving once again, those whom ask, often receive...

Old 04-25-04, 01:21 PM
E
OK Sharp, thanks again

Old 04-26-04, 12:46 PM
E
"...locate the appliances parts stores in your area. Write them down also. Soon as possible visit the store(s).

Asking in those places is very likely to provide help."

Just wanted to let you know Sharp, I did just that. I went back to the used appliance dealer that sold me the washer. Good thing I did--he told me the back DOESN'T come off the Inglis washers! He showed me 2 screws on the top, front panel that let the panel fold back to reveal 2 clips. When the clips are released, the whole case hinges down! Top, sides, front--all hinged to the back panel! Never heard of that before.

Thanks again Sharp

Old 04-26-04, 02:43 PM
E
Say Sharp, if you're still out there (or anyone else) ... OK I've got the washer opened up, pulled the pump off (pretty simple... maybe too simple? ... noticed a slight bit of play between the shaft and pump slot connection) ... snooped around a bit. I surmise this is a direct drive since I found no belts. There is an inverted cup-shaped thing connecting the motor to the tub.

Didn't notice any obvious signs of damage ... no punctured hoses .. no pools of oil.

The pump turns freely and there are no broken vanes from what I can see in the opening. There is a trace of rust dust in the slot that connects to the motor. (the slot & pump are plastic)

The motor turns freely by hand--a bit of rust on the shaft but it wipes off easily. A little bit of oil on the inverted cup-shaped thing that looks like it has been there a while (not fresh).

The hoses all seem clear--no foreign objects in them.

My guess is that something temporarily jammed the pump causing the shaft to spin inside the pump slot....grinding it a bit. Make sense? This would explain the grinding sound but would it cause a leak of water on to the floor? (that's where the leak was--right under the pump)

What do you think ... should I replace the pump?

Chris

Old 04-26-04, 10:03 PM
Admin Emeritus
Chris

Might check the pump for a breather vent hole. The seal around the shaft may be leaking and or the breather vent hole is leaking. May be similar to a water pump on a car, etc. Leaks usually develope at the breather hole on the housing shaft.

Grinding Noise...HUMM.

Check under the agitator. May be something stuck under it or between the tub and the inner drum.

When you final fix that machine, you'll be a pro whom can help others in this forum topic... The forum could use your help as well...

Old 04-27-04, 06:08 AM
E
Grinding Noise...HUMM.

Yeah, that's got me worried too ;-( I'll snoop around underneath once more (why does the floor have to be so low to the ground?!? ... hard on the knees

BTW: found another fix/repair/advice site in case anyone else is reading this:

http://fixitnow.com

Old 04-27-04, 06:21 AM
Admin Emeritus
Editor

Need links?
Do It Yourself Help Links:
(Codes Off - Copy And Repaste)

DIY'S Electric Appliances Pages:
Dishwasher, Dryer, Freezer, Refrigerator, Washing Machines & Info. http://doityourself.com/appliance/index.shtml

DIY Help Links:
http://links.doityourself.com/
http://links.doityourself.com/links/appliances/

DIY'S Appliance Parts and Accessories Shopping Center.
http://doityourself.com/store/applianceparts.shtm

Old 04-28-04, 06:29 AM
E
OK Sharp (& anyone else), I took the pump in to the appliance place. The repair guy said the pump looked OK so I re-installed it & ran a test cycle.

No leak during fillup
Tiny leak during agitate
Small leak during spin

I found that the fillup spout was out of whack -- the tabs that hold it to the back were not positioned right--so I fixed that & ran another cycle.

No leak during fillup
Small leak during agitate
LARGE leak during spin

I unplugged the machine, opened it up again & had a look around. There was no water or moisture around the pump. I really expected some to be there because as I understand it, the pump runs in one direction during agitation & then reverses during spin. Thought for sure this would explain the leaks. Really couldn' see any obvious source for the leak.

I've been told that I can run the machine with the cabinet off so I can look closer for the leak if I put a jumper to the lid switch. Now I have a healthy respect for electricity, especially when around water. Is this safe to do?

Old 04-28-04, 07:02 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: Editor

Water leak may not be coming from the pump or hoses or connections etc. May be a seal around the agitator....? Or over splash from the outer tub...?

Try this:
Allow to fill. Than stop all cycles. Wait several hours. Since leak may be tiny allow time. Note if water level drops in the tub or drum. Look under machine for any signs of water. If no leaks or water loss, all is fine. No leaks from the tub. If water is present under machine, drum (tub) leaks.

Regarding cabinet removal, bypassing switches, and working around electric and water, etc, your choice. May not be such a good idea if not done correctly and or not known what to do or what to expect, in my opinion.

May be okay and others may say otherwise.....but it is you at risk and not them. Food for thought..........???????? HUMMMM....

Old 04-28-04, 08:51 AM
E
If water is present under machine, drum (tub) leaks.

OK will try that test.

May be okay and others may say otherwise.....but it is you at risk and not them.

I hear yuh. Thanks Sharp

Old 04-28-04, 10:45 AM
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
Read through all this stuff and thought I would throw in my two pennies.

First here is a really good site for parts and parts breakdowns:

http://www.repairclinic.com/0070.asp

SharpAdvice is doing a fine job here and has been guiding you well. Not to mention you have been doing a bit of home work of your own..Great!

You do have a direct drive unit, no belts. These seem to be quite easy to work on compared to the belt drive models. I am no pro, but have spent a good deal of time working on my own and others washers.

Do the leak test, with the washer just standing full of water and than on spin.

You can run the washer without the cabinet on, all you are jumping around is the lid switch. Just make sure you have the back of the cabinet braced so it does move around, make sure fill hose is in the tube and not off to the side. I have done this many times and haven't been shocked (yet). It really does give you a better view of everything.

You may have a hose that is leaking, after the water pump. With the cabinet off, you may be able to better see where the water is coming from. If you have a big problem with this....look for water stains on the underside to hoses, tub...sometimes these can lead you to where the leak is.

Hope this helps some...I will check back when you go to the next step.

Old 04-28-04, 05:13 PM
E
~SharpAdvice is doing a fine job here and has been guiding you well. Not to mention you have been doing a bit of home work of your own..Great!~

Yes, Sharp is like a lot of people I have been fortunate to come in contact with--wise enough to allow me to cautious and take things slow when I am not sure.

~You can run the washer without the cabinet on, all you are jumping around is the lid switch.~

I found that out today. Very reassuring (you were right Sharp--the guy at the appliance store WANTS to help...knows I'll be back for more parts ... good word-of-mouth advertising from me, etc.). Now that I know that ominous looking connector only runs to the lid switch, I am OK with jumping it.

~Just make sure you have the back of the cabinet braced so it does move around, make sure fill hose is in the tube and not off to the side.~

Found that out too ... after a small flood ;-)

~You may have a hose that is leaking, after the water pump.~

Exactly! I noticed a few drops at a low spot on the outlet side of the pump. When I pulled the hose off, I didn't see any holes or scars so I figured it must be leaking at the hose/pump connection and running down the hose. The appliance store guy told me to make sure to line up the clamps with the old grooves in the hose otherwise there might be a chance of a leak. I think this is what is happening. The clamps are not very resilient & I am not sure the old grooves were perfectly lined up.

Tomorrow I am going to pick up a new hose, some new clamps and take in the pump for re-inspection -- then try again.

~Hope this helps some...I will check back when you go to the next step.~

Sure does! I will definitely be back to report. Saturday is laundry day--'Hunnybunch' is mean as a snake ;-) I must succeed!

Thanks again people.

Chris

Old 04-29-04, 08:21 AM
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
Sounds like you may be on the right track for the water leak. Is it still making a grinding noise, or was that "just one of those things"?

While you have it all apart, spin the inner tub by hand. Make sure it isn't rubbing against the outer tub. If your outer tub is plastic, it won't take long for this rubbing action to wear a hole in the outer tub. Of course it will leak when ever there is water in the tub, but it is worth checking while you are this far.

Old 04-29-04, 11:52 AM
E
~Is it still making a grinding noise, or was that "just one of those things"?~

Here's what I think happened: something went through the pump ... a coin, pebble or maybe a cheeze sandwich ... who knows. I was just down the hall from the machine when it went into the spin cycle & heard the grinding sound. Only lasted a few seconds ... then the leak started. I think whatever it was shook up the hose connection a bit, became pulverised & got flushed out. In any case, no grinding noise as of my test run last night.

S'funny ... you know how you get focussed on one thing & don't think about others? Well today, I packed up the pump & hose & trotted off to the appliance repair place proud as punch about my detective work, looking to buy a couple of Official Whirlpool Authorised Hose Clamping Devices. The guy said, "You mean these?" ... and showed me a regular, everyday 89 cent hose clamp. I just stared at it and replied, "You guys are geniuses .. I never thought of using something like that." He didn't charge me for the clamp ;-)

Anyway, back to work & then home to try the washer again. Thanks Trying.2

Old 04-30-04, 10:43 AM
E
Just thought I'd let you guys know, the machine doesn't leak any more!

There was a hairline crack along the TOP of the outlet hose. This would leak a bit during fillup & roll around the hose to the bottom. It looked like it was leaking from the bottom so I didn't believe it--there were no holes there.

The $27 for a replacement hose was a bit of a shock but I was getting tired of working on the washer so I paid it. Next time, I'll shop around--I'm sure I could buy a whole roll of hose for that price.

Anyway, thanks Trying2Help & SharpAdvice

Really appreciate it!

I'll be back.

Chris

Old 05-01-04, 08:23 PM
Admin Emeritus
Lightbulb Look On The Bright Side

Hi: Chris

Glad that was all the problem turned out to be. Considering the age of the machine....?????. whatever age it is, $27.00 isn't really all the much. Could have been a far more expense part and far more difficult of one to replace.

Worse yet, could have cost you for the diagnostic fee & labor installation costs.

Now see how much we all learned from all of this....

Always a "Bright" side in every solution.

Regards,
Sharp Advice.

PS:
Stick around and help other members solve their washer problems.
You're almost a pro...haha...

Old 05-02-04, 08:21 AM
E
I guess you're right Sharp--$27 isn't all that much for all this education

>>PS: Stick around and help other members solve their washer problems.
>>You're almost a pro...haha...

I might just do that!

Thanks again Trying2 & Sharp

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: