washer won't drain, spin

Old 04-28-04, 06:28 AM
rrinerbentz2
Visiting Guest
washer won't drain, spin

My newer model top-load whirlpool washer won't drain, or spin. It will fill and agitate. It also appears that the timer switch is slow to move to the next cycle. I have been to a few websites about DIY washer repair and they say different things like a broken pump, timer switch, coupling, or loose or broken belt. If the washer agitates, it shouldn't be the belt, right? I do remember smelling a sort of smell like a hung up belt or something....please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-04, 06:41 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: rrinerbentz2

If possible, remove the rear access panle(s) and take a look under the machine. If you once prior smelled something like a belt burning, indeed you may have. Which may indicate the problem.

Machine may agitate. Load on macnine not as heavy as beginning of the spinning cycle. Pump and spin cycle are or usually are combined so both happen at the same time.

Belt may be too worn, loose, slipping, etc. Inspect first, to determine cause, before suspecting the timer control as the problem cause.

Old 04-28-04, 06:59 AM
rrinerbentz2
Visiting Guest
Thanks!!!

wow! that was quick, thanks so much! We just picked this nice washer up second hand real cheap- and apparently this is why. I don't mind fixing it, though.

Old 04-28-04, 07:09 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: rrinerbentz2

If the test indicates the prior problem was an overload, nothing to fix...
Lets hope there is nothing to fix too.

Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Old 04-28-04, 10:51 AM
"My newer model top-load whirlpool washer "

Odds are this is a beltless model. If you can supply model # it will help identify which washer we are looking at.

On the beltless models, the motor reverses direction during spin cycle. Do you here the motor turning, yet the water level remains the same? Or is there no sound, just the washer sitting there with a big on the lid?

Old 04-19-08, 09:01 PM
Talking you still there

i have a GE front load WASHER it would agitate fill with water but would not drain or spin i took the front panel off
took the water pump out it had 5 dollars in change in the pump and a ball of carpet off a rug stuck in the pump ,cleaned it out stuck it back in good as new.