dishwasher spray arm problem

Old 05-02-04, 07:50 AM
klsmith3
Visiting Guest
dishwasher spray arm problem

We have a dishwasher that is 1 year and 1 month old. THe bottom sprayer arm works great. We think we unclogged everything from top arm still dosen't spray. Please help.Thank you

Old 05-02-04, 09:25 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: klsmith3

The water line to the upper washer arm may be clogged and or restricted.
Pulling out the entire machine may be the only means to access the water supply line and the diverter.

For more detailed information read the recent postings within this forum. The questions already asked on dishwashers describe like or similarly related problem descriptions as your question. Those prior postings and all the replies offered within them contain almost all the required information needed.

Read the help information forum note pertaining to the appliance at the top of this forum for additional help.

Dishwasher Help Pages: (Within this forum topic above)
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=164148

Additional Help and Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for problem possibilities, solving methods, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, downloadable repair manuals, etc which may be available online.

Search the manufacturers web site for a downloadable version of the owners or service manual. The file will be a pdf file opened with Adobe, which also needs to be downloaded first but worth having once obtained.

Do an online search for the model by brand name or use a search engine web site like goggle etc. This web site also has help info. All of which can be found in the banner above at the top of this page.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers.

Appliance part stores and dealers are listed in the phone book. May find some help on the pages listed at the top of this page in the banner topics.

Check back on your question several more times. Other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas, suggestions, test and or repair methods.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck.
Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 05-02-04, 10:03 AM
klsmith3
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up whirpool dishwasher

Thank you so much for you quick reply. We are going to try that now. My husband would like to know how that would get clogged? Thank you ,Kathy

Old 05-02-04, 10:37 AM
klsmith3
Visiting Guest
whirpool dishwasher

Well, my husband checked and there is no clog anywhere he can find now. The botttom dishes.plates seem to get clean. But the door doesn't even get cleaned off. You set the arm on top i one position and it doesn't even move.We're stumped. Which we don't know much. I can't afford a repaiman because our 16 year old dryer died yesteraday. Thank you for your information. Kathy

Old 05-02-04, 10:56 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: Kathy

Normally found sediment and hard water deposits are just two of several ways water lines and parts get clogged up. Much like the water airator screens on sink faucets, etc.

Washing machines have screens in the hoses and or hose lines also. So it may be a simple screen which needs cleaning or any part in the water line up to the upper washer arm.

It's possible to remove the upper arm and allow the machine to operate without it for a few mintues. May unclog it but not likely. Also opening the dorr quickly and noting if water is flowing out of the line without the arm attached may provide clues.

Be sure the arm itself is clean of rust, scale, sediment, hard water and or lime/calcium deposits, etc. If not, clean them best as possible. Soaking the parts once removed in vinegar also helps loosen hard water deposits, etc.

Old 05-02-04, 11:20 AM
klsmith3
Visiting Guest
whirpool dishwasher

Well he checked all that and ran vinegar but the arm isn't moving.I guess we'll have to wait until we get the money for a repairman. My husband hates this there has never been anything in this house that he couldn't repair. I just want to thank you so much for your kindness. Kathy

Old 05-02-04, 11:35 AM
Admin Emeritus
Kathy

He can repair the problem and may not require any money. My point exactly. Cleaning may solve the problem. More work can be done b4 concluding a part is needed, etc.

If need be, unplug the machine, disconnect the lines and hoses and pull it out. Inpsect the hose line to the upper arm. Remove if needed be. May be able to push a wire, etc throught the line to ensure it is clear, if not visable or able to see throught it, etc.

Point is not to give up or appear to be, so soon. Can't let that hubby off the hook so easy...LOL....unless you like hand washing dishes??..haha. Doubt it!

Hubby can also remove the valve(s) for inspection or cleaning, if not already done so, etc. Lots can be done which may or may not have already been done. May not even be at all that costly to fix, etc.

Another possible cause is friction. Arm may not be able to rotate even if water is or is not able to flow throught it. Which only may require cleaning, etc.

To all reading members:
Check & recheck, inspect & reinspect...b4 assuming a part is in need of replacement or repair. Never assume a part is defective until positive by eliminating all other possible causes.....

Old 05-02-04, 07:49 PM
klsmith3
Visiting Guest
Thank you so much. My husband isn't home much during the week.But we'll see if he can get to it.He's a truck driver.Long hours and alot less sleep. Thanks again ,Kathy

Old 05-03-04, 02:47 PM
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
Kathy,
Sharp Advice is on the right track.

If you could provide a model number it would help us tell you exactly what and where to look as differant models are set up differantly.

If you run the dishwasher without any thing in it, can you hear/feel the water being sprayed against the door? You may even want to remove the lower tray to check this.

Old 05-05-04, 06:12 AM
klsmith3
Visiting Guest
whirpool dishwasher

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner. The model # is GU1200XTLQ1.I tried vinegar again and no such luck. The arm at the bottom washes but the top arm doesn't move at all. You put it in a postion and it doesn't move. We even put a glass in top shelf right side up and no water goes in it.Thank you again, Kathy

Old 05-06-04, 10:39 AM
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
Kathy,
Let me tell you this, I am not an appliance technician just a tinkerer. However, it sounds like you have one of three problems.
1. Upper water channel clogged
2. low water level
3. Low pump pressure

Now how do we determine which one it is......Gee if I was a technician I would probally have some special tools to do this with, however, I am not and therefore I don't. But I do have some common sense and great ingenuity.

Problem 2: Fill the washer with water and stop it in the when the wash cycle starts. Open the door and see where the water level is at. It should fill the complete tub of the dishwasher. If not, check the float to see if it is stuck, cracked and has gotten water logged or misadjusted. The float should be a plastic "hat looking thing" in the corner of the floor of the dishwasher. Some of these you can lift up out of the dishwasher without removing anything from the underside, others have a clip or something holding them in place. I have seen these get soap build up under them and thereby weighing them down and not letting enough water into the dishwasher. A simple cleaning and the thing was working like a champ again.

Problem 1/3: This may get alittle messy, but not real bad. Remove upper and lower spray arms. Let dishwasher run until it is into the wash cycle. You will probally have to rig the door switch to work while door is open for the next test. Hold door partially open and see how high the water sprays out of the lower arm hole. Also note if it is a full stream. The height of the water will rise and fall, this is normal. If it is spraying 1/2 to 3/4 the height of the dishwasher cabinet (inside) I would think this is good.
Now reach in and place hand/towel over the lower arm hole. This should direct all the water out of the upper arm hole. If you get water out of the upper arm hole now, it would let you know that the water channel is clear and the water should come out okay. If not the channel is clogged somewhere and you will have to take it apart or run a "snake" through it.
If you did get water out of the upper arm hole, replace the lower spray arm. Trying to point the lower spray arm in a manner that will allow you to ger the "least" wet, turn the dishwasher on for a short period of time. You WILL get wet, so brace yourself. While you do this see if you get water out of the upper arm hole now. If not, I would say that you need to get a new impeller kit and install it. This will give you more water pressure. The other thing you may have is a leaking seal that prevents the pump from placing enough pressure on the water to force it up to the top arm, so you will also have to look for water coming out of someplace it shouldn't.

Here is my logic: If you have enough water, the pump (impeller) should deliver the water to the upper arm. If it isn't getting there, some how that water pressure is being reduced. Either a weak pump, or leak in the delivery system.

If your husband needs to have some parts diagrams or need to check on the price of some parts, go to sears.com click on parts and follow the instructions. You will be able to pull up the parts list and diagrams for your dishwasher there.

Hope this helps,

Old 05-19-04, 06:27 AM
klsmith3
Visiting Guest
whirpool dishwasher

Thank you so much for all of your help. I emailed whirpool and by no less than a miracle came out and it was the whole pump unit gone bad. They are doing it for free! Praise the Lord. They have ordered the part which will take 10 days. Thanks again for all you help. Kathy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: