grit in dishwasher

Old 05-02-04, 04:00 PM
lizstafford
Visiting Guest
Question grit in dishwasher

I have a sand like substance in my dishwasher and cannot seem to figure out how to stop this from happening; my dishes dry with this grit on them leaving my dishes dirty. Therefore, how can I stop this from happening? Thanks.

Old 05-02-04, 05:31 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: lizstafford. Welcome to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

If there is sand or sand like sediment in the dishwasher and it did not arrive there from any item(s) washed in it prior, it arrived via the water supply.

Which means it came from either the water supply and or from the pipes in the house. Corrosion of old steel or iron pipes, if the house has those types of piping systems.

If it came from the water supply and or the piping system, it will also be in the washing machine and all other water using facilities, etc. Check the aerators on the sink faucets and inside the toilet tank.

If any of those locations have the same problem, it may be the water supply and or the water piping system.... In those cases, other major problems exist which will not resolve the dishwasher problems....

Check back on your question several more times. Other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas, suggestions, test and or repair methods.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck.
Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 05-03-04, 02:40 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Some of that "grit" may actually be coming from your dishwashing soap. Try to remove the screen in the bottom of the DW and clean all the stuff out that you can.....shop vac works well here.

Run the DW a couple of times without any thing in it to further clean it out.

Put some clean dishes in it and run it again to see if you are still getting the grit on the dishes. If not......hmmmmm....run a load of dishes as normal and see what happens.

One problem I have seen over and over is that some dishwashing soaps need very hot water to desolve properly. If your DW is a long ways from your water heater, the water inside you DW never gets hot enough. You will either have to change soaps (try a liquid type MADE FOR DISHWASHERS).
Or you maybe able to run the water in the kitchen sink until it gets hot and than turn on the DW. This seems to work for the first cycle, but you almost have to do the same thing when the next cycle begins or don't put any soap in the second soap dish.

Let us know how it goes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: