Condensation inside refrigerator

Old 05-16-04, 01:45 PM
Caesar3
Visiting Guest
Condensation inside refrigerator

Water is building up in the bottom of our refrigerator under the fresh food bins. The refrigerator is a GE top-freezer, Model TBX18JIBQRWW, and it's only about 4 years old.

The appliance seems to be working fine otherwise. The freezer freezes, and the refrigerator compartment itself seems to work properly. I've checked the DIY page on GE's web site, and they "recommend I contact a GE appliance repair professional." Well, I'm prepared to do that, but I'm fairly competent in the DIY department. I want to exhaust the possibilities in that area before I spend $70 plus for professional intervention.

Last edited by Caesar3; 05-16-04 at 01:46 PM. Reason: To fine-tune the wording.
Old 05-16-04, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
Caesar3,

I'm not sure of the exact configuration of your fridge but inside the freezer there is a cooling coil that collects frost and then automatically defrosts several times a day.
The water collects in a tray and then funnels into a hose and then to the outside of the refrigerator to the bottom where there is a tray that evaporates the water.

Somewhere near the top, either the tray or hose is plugged with dirt or a heater in the tray could have failed if there is one.

So, because you have to rip your fridge apart the mfr wouldn't want to be responsible for a messed up fridge.
Some will try blowing into the drain tube from the bottom but if filled with dirt you will blow it back into the fridge and it will plug again.
If you do try this use your mouth because an air compressor, if you have one, could blow the hose apart.

Old 05-16-04, 04:52 PM
Caesar3
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Greg! I found the hose that carries the condensate from the freezer to the evaporation pan, removed it, and blew out the crud that was blocking the water. The crud reminded me of the stuff I clean out of my fish pond filters every few days! Then I replaced the hose, vacuumed out all the cat hairs that were coating the coils under the fridge, and used the hose to blow back into the unit. Now, I suppose some crud existed in the short piece where the down pipe attaches, but we got all the bad stuff out of the long hose.

My hunch is this will take care of the problem. I also believe my fridge will work more efficiently now that the cat hair isn't coating the coils! Thanks for the tip!

Old 01-04-08, 09:09 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the great info! I have a similar model, GE model TBX22, and had the same problem, water building up in the bottom of the refrigerator under the fresh food bins and then overflowing onto the floor.

My condensation hose was easily accessible on the back of the refrigerator. The long hose itself wasn't block badly, but the small curved piece connected at the top (easily removed by twisting) was completely blocked.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: