GE Dryer Problem (not already addressed)

Old 06-04-04, 04:38 PM
floridasun4
Visiting Guest
GE Dryer Problem (not already addressed)

I just finished reading both threads on dryer problems, as well as a bunch of different repair websites and cant find the answer to my problem, so I'm hoping someone can help so I know whether I need to buy a new one or not.

Yesterday I used my dryer to dry my comforter most of the day, but it was dryed on just air (no heat). It was a down comforter, so it required long air dry times, but no heat. I tried to turn the dryer on today and it just buzzes. My dryer has a knob, not a button and when I try to turn the knob to start, it buzzes loudly...but when I let the knob go it stops. I have tried a bunch of different settings on the timer and none will make it start. It is getting power so that isnt the problem and the door is closed securely. Can someone help with what could be the problem? I have seen other threads on other noises, but none about buzzing. Thanks for any help!

Old 06-05-04, 08:39 AM
appliancepresid
Visiting Guest
Hi Floridasun,
Sounds as if the motor start switch or motor winding is out.
With a couple of helping hands try doing this, open the door, you will see a door switch,push that in , turn the drum by hand clockwise, and then have someone press the start button, if starts release the start button it should continue to run as long as you hold the door switch in. make sure the dryer timer is set on timed dry or even air dry just make sure it is not in the off position, I say that because of past experience explaining this seems to forget to set timer.

if that starts and runs your motor start switch is defective (centrifugal start sw.) In most cases it is cheaper to buy the motor assembly instead of just the switch. but check pricing first.

post back let us know results

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: