GE Hotpoint Electric Dryer Noise Problem

Old 06-23-04, 10:44 AM
kato
Visiting Guest
GE Hotpoint Electric Dryer Noise Problem

My Hotpoint dryer, model# NLLR113EVOWW is making an intermitent metalic scraping sound associated with the drum. I thought maybe the front drum guides were bad as indicated in a book I got at the library. When I took the front panel off, there were not the two guides happily holding up the drum at the bottom, as pictured in the book, but a "shelf built into the front panel lined with a fibrous material. The drum fit onto this shelf and I presume ran along the fibrous stuff. Naturally, when I took the panel off, the drum collapsed as nothing was holding it up. The fibrous stuff looked fine, though, so I put it all back together after cleaning out all the lint. The sound is still there. What do I do?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-04, 11:11 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello kato. Welcome to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The pads do or can dry out. Any lubricant imbedded into them may be gone. Replacement is likely to resolve the noise sounds. Providing the drums surface, which slides or glides on the pads is also in good condition.

Cleaning that inner drums surface that rides, glides or slides on those pads will insure it is clean and no scratches etc exists. The felt liner the drum rotates on has to also be in good condition.

Assumption here is, the glider pads are up top. Drum rests on them and the felt pad supports the lower end of the drum. Meaning the rim rides or fits into a slot within the support and rests on the felt pad. In some cases a rotating tube with no back or bottom is referred to as a "drum."

Meaning the "drum" is actually a doubled ended open "tube" that rotates. A real "drum" would have a rear bearing supporting the back inside of a "drum." That rear bearing supports the back. It too can cause noises as it wears out.

Might help to type in the manufacturers web site address and search for any online help they may provide. Or, in my opinion, better to visit the local appliance part store in your area.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance part stores and dealers are listed in the phone book.

Check back on your question several more times. Other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas, suggestions and or possible repair methods.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list of current questions automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, connection and or repairs.