Amana fridge compressor overheats

Old 06-23-04, 10:50 AM
ed landis
Visiting Guest

My Amana fridge compressor gets very hot. (Amana Model # TP121A3W MFG # P1182005WW)

Yesterday the freezer section was warm and the compressor was too hot to touch. I pulled the plug and left the compressor cool down. when I restarted the fridge, it operated normally (the freezer got cold), but it seems to run almost continuously and the compressor is almost too hot to touch.

The coils on the bottom of the fridge are clean of all dirt and lint.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should check?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-04, 03:01 PM
Doc Electric
Visiting Guest

Is the condenser fan running? And if so is it spinning free or is it hard to turn? This would cause the compressor to overheat, and once it is overheated it will take awhile to cool down. Also the commpressor will have too run alot to get the refrig cooled down. Doc E

Old 06-23-04, 05:29 PM
ed landis
Visiting Guest
Yes the fan is running fine. And I expected the compressor to be warm to moderately hot to get the fridge cooled down to normal temperature. but it stays hot and the fridge runs almost constantly to keep things frozen. It did not have to run constantly in the past and the compressor was not so hot that you could not keep your hand on it.

Any suggestions on what I should check?

Old 06-23-04, 06:44 PM
Doc Electric
Visiting Guest
hot compressor

Is the back cover on the fridge? It helps the fan pull the air across the coils and helps the compreeor run cooler. How hot is the area where the refrigerator is located? If it is in a garage or room warmer than 80 degrees, it will make it harder for the compressor to run. Check the temperature in the freezer area. It should be around 0 to 5 degrees F. If not then there might be something wrong with the sealed system. Also the fresh food side should be about 36 to 38 degrees. It doesn't need to be any colder than that and will cause the compressor to run to much. Hope that helps. Doc E