Refrigerator Advice

Old 06-23-04, 03:42 PM
vinnie1543
Visiting Guest
Refrigerator Advice

My freezer won't keep things frozen and my fridge will eventually be not as cool. After reading some of the great info in this forum and doing some investigating both on the internet and on my fridge I'm assuming it's the good ol' defrost deal(defrost timer, defrost heater, defrost thermostat) that is going bad. I have found the timer(not necessarily checked it good/bad yet) but I can't seem to figure out how to access whatever I need to to find the heater or thermostat. Is this something I could do myself(I would like to just to save $$$) or would I be better off calling someone who knows whats what? Thanks ahead of time.

Old 06-23-04, 06:53 PM
Doc Electric
Visiting Guest
refrig advice

If there is frost in the freezer area, then there is probably a problem with the defrost system. The defrost element, termination switch, evaporator fan, and the evaporator coils are all located in the freezer area. Depending on the maker and year of the fridge they can be in the floor of the freezer area or the back wall of the freezer area. Wherever they are there will be access screws and a plate or cover that can be removed so the parts can be worked on. Try turning the timer to defrost to see if the elements start to get hot. That will tell you if its just the defrost timer or if something else has gone wrong. Doc E

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: