Kenmore dryer, motor buzz at start-up

Old 08-02-04, 10:11 AM
sockit
Visiting Guest
Question Kenmore dryer, motor buzz at start-up

Kenmore Mod 110.60912990 Dryer.
When start button pushed, motor makes loud buzzing sound prior to start-up. Sometimes just buzzes and won't start at all. Have disassembled, and oiled the motor shaft (both ends, under tin caps at felt pads). Motor shaft seems to turn smooth, but motor still has difficulty starting (or not at all).
What causes the buzzing/ hard starting? Motor windings "wearing out" due to possible overheating? (I did have to clean off a fair amount of lint, so I expect it could have over-heated). Any remedies/suggestions other than replace motor? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-04, 07:00 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: sockit

Chances are the motor is burned out or the starter solenoid is defective or wornout, etc. Motor can be removed for testing at any local electric motor repair shop.

However, testing fees (if any apply) and or motor rebuilding is about the same price as a new motor. May or may not be cost effective to replace the motor, even if you do the labor. A choice you'll have to make.

Might try removing the belt and attempt to start motor. Doing so takes the load off the motor. May prove the motor is in fact the primary cause. Just be sure to take note on the belt is looped on the pulley(s) before removal.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance part stores and parts dealers are listed in the phone book.

Check back on your question several more times. Other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas and or repair methods.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list of current questions automatically.

Helping Out Here Too.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator.
Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 08-03-04, 09:32 AM
sockit
Visiting Guest
Thanks Sharp.
Yes, I tried running the motor unloaded as well, same results. Apparently there are no replaceable motor components such as a start capacitor. Must all be self-contained in the motor. (only other component I see is what must be the overload switch - that centrifugally operated collar thingy). I guess if the motor became over heated, something internal must be getting ready to bite the dust.

Old 08-03-04, 07:43 PM
Doc Electric
Visiting Guest
Motor has trouble starting

Most likey your motor bearings are bad. You either need a new motor or a good used motor. Part no. 3395654. Too bad you don't live close by, I have a couple of used ones. My zip is 69301. You might be able to go to the local junk yard or dump and find one. Doug

Old 08-04-04, 06:55 AM
sockit
Visiting Guest
Thanks Doug, I'll keep you in mind after I try out a few local options. How much would you want for one? BTW, you mentioned bearings - I thought my motor had bushings, because when I popped off the tin end-caps from each end, I noticed felt wicks inside, which I assumed were for oiling the shaft/bushings. Were you just using the term loosely, or am I wrong about the bushings? (or maybe there are there two styles?). No big deal, just curious.
Hey, as for spare parts, you wouldn't by chance have one of those optional shoe-drying racks laying around?
-Eric

Old 08-05-04, 12:18 AM
Doc Electric
Visiting Guest
dryer motor

You're right they are sleeve type bearings and it is possible to oil them if they are tight, but I suspect yours have up and down play in them and that is why the motor is noisy. I don't have any racks, In the past 15 years I have been doing this I have only seen about 4 actual racks in or near dryers, but they can be ordered.

Old 01-06-09, 01:42 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need a motor for model num#110.60912990

Originally Posted by sockit View Post
Kenmore Mod 110.60912990 Dryer.
When start button pushed, motor makes loud buzzing sound prior to start-up. Sometimes just buzzes and won't start at all. Have disassembled, and oiled the motor shaft (both ends, under tin caps at felt pads). Motor shaft seems to turn smooth, but motor still has difficulty starting (or not at all).
What causes the buzzing/ hard starting? Motor windings "wearing out" due to possible overheating? (I did have to clean off a fair amount of lint, so I expect it could have over-heated). Any remedies/suggestions other than replace motor? Thanks!
How much does a motor like this cost?

Old 01-06-09, 06:32 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I found a new one on Ebay for $57 plus shipping which is a good price. Just type the part # into the search block.