Dishwasher Questions for Install

Old 08-31-04, 03:05 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher Questions for Install

I am wondering if anyone knows how adjustable dishwashers are for height. I have been told that they can be adjusted up and down to get them to fit under the counter but by how much. Also, what is the standard height of a dishwasher that I will be working with in my plans? I know that they are 24" wide.

Thanks.

Kirsten

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-04, 05:18 PM
34" high, plus or minus 1/4". You wouldn't want to vary your counter top too much from about 36", unless you're wheelchair bound.

BTW, don't be like the moron that designed our house. He put an "L" in the cabinets on the left side of the dishwasher so that the only side of the DW you can stand on when the door is open is the sink side, makes it kind of hard to reach the cabinets when leaning over the open door and pulled out rack.

Old 09-01-04, 04:35 AM
N
Okay, when you say 36" are you referring to the top of the countertop? As a precaution to make sure that we don't have a problem with drawers and doors opening with the front edge overhang of the countertop we are going to put a 5/8" layer of plywood on top of the base cabinets but I wanted to make sure we had enough room in our rough opening for any dishwasher to fit.

Okay, another question then. Our dishwasher and sink are going to be across the corner of an L from each other (small kitchen with not enough room for both along the same side). Our plumbing plans involve running a separate water line over to the dishwasher down in the basement. We also plan to run a separate drain line over to the dishwasher that will then connect to the drain coming from the sink and then run to the main drain. Is it okay to run the hose from the dishwasher down through the floor to connect with the drain pipe that will be running underneath the floor?

Also, since it will be hooking up with the drain from the sink after about a 4' run will the vent pipe coming from the sink be good enough for the dishwasher too?

One more, what is an air surface cap? Do I need to find a way to have one or what?

Thanks!

Kirsten