Kenmore Dehumidifier 59600 - Coils Freezing

Old 09-03-04, 09:02 AM
tozemko
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Kenmore Dehumidifier 59600 - Coils Freezing

Hello again! I have a Kenmore Dehumidifier Model 59600. We just noticed the coil back, into the filter and above the bucket, is frozen side to side and half way up the coils.

The tempurature has not been below 65 degrees, we have run it here in Virginia for several years later than this, and the fan appears to be blowing.

Any ideas as to what to do? I was going to let it thaw out, open the front panel and check out the fan/motor.....

Any suggestion appreciated!

Tom - tozemko@us.ibm.com

Old 09-03-04, 09:38 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tozemko,

I know it may sound crazy, but the unit may be low in refrigerant. If the airflow through the coils is OK, then what you are seeing is a classis sign of low refrigerant. This causes the pressure in the system to be reduced, which correlates directly with temperature...lower pressure/lower temperature. However, if the refrigerant is low, the evaporation process completes before it has cooled the entire coil area. That's why they are frozen only have way up.

Can't guarantee this your problem, but it is a good possibility.

Old 09-03-04, 10:27 AM
tozemko
Visiting Guest
Kenmore Dehumidifier - Coils Freezing

OK, about the refrigerant. Then would that imply a leak? And some kind of recharge? Sounds time consuming = costly.

Tom

Old 09-03-04, 10:32 AM
tozemko
Visiting Guest
Kemore Dehumidifier - Coils Freezing

I should also mention the unit has a defrost control that should shut down compressor when senses frosting............something seems amiss with that.

Tom

Old 09-03-04, 10:41 AM
R
I don't have a great deal of experience with dehumidifiers and I'm not sure about the defrost control function. Does it respond to an actual frost condition or just defrost based on a timer like an ordinary household refrigerator?

As far as the low refrigerant, if indeed that is the problem, it would definitely imply a leak. Unfortunately, other than an educated guess, you can't tell for certain whether that is the problem without a more sophisticated diagnosis involving tapping the lines and measuring pressures.

Is/are the fan/fans functioning normally. No airflow restrictions? The real kicker, however, is the evaporator coils being frosted only half-way up. That's a strong indication.

Old 09-06-04, 05:55 AM
tozemko
Visiting Guest
Kenmore Dehumidifier

Fan is working fine, no loose blades etc, defrost only kicks in when frost is 1/2 way up coils, hence the ice build at bottom of coils!

Based on what Randy is saying,,,,,and unit is 3 months past 5 yr warranty on sealed system....better to replace? New unit is around $150, svc call plus labor and parts would probably be equal. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Old 09-07-04, 04:28 AM
R
Morning,

Sorry it took me so long to get back, but I didn't get my computer turned on at all over the 3-day weekend.

If the sealed system is performing correctly, as in full charge of refrigerant, good compressor, and good metering device (capillary or expansion valve), then the coils should cool evenly from top to bottom. The idea is to have just enough refrigerant to maintain the evaporation process all the way through the coils and maybe a bit more. Depending on the system, you may even see cooling all the way to the compressor in the suction line. In fact, some compressors rely on vapor cooling for efficiency and reliability.

Anyway, I don't think anything that costs $150 or less and is out of warranty deserves a service call these days. It's kinda sad, but many appliances are now in the throwaway category. Labor costs are way up and manufacturing costs are down (or they have just figured out a way to make things cheaper).

Let us know what you decide. If you do get it repaired, tell what the problem was.

Good luck,

Old 09-07-04, 05:37 AM
tozemko
Visiting Guest
Thanks for response........am most likely going to get a new unit today.

The old one was originally a Goldstar....I see Sears now sells Maytags as their Kenmore line.........

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: