Thermal Fuse keeps Blowing

Old 09-08-04, 08:06 AM
Lidlamb
Visiting Guest
Thermal Fuse keeps Blowing

I have a Kenmore dryer 80 Series. The Thermal Fuse has blown. We replaced it with a new one after cleaning the lint trap. The new fuse lasted 4 minutes before it also blew. Anyone have any suggestions on what to check now???
I'm new here so if I am posting in the wrong place let me know.
Thanks

Old 09-08-04, 02:22 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Most likely the dryer is full of lint and also the vent may be obstructed/clogged. Clean out the entire dryer including the blower, replace the fuse, disconnect the dryer from the vent and try running it. Let us know how you make out. Thanks.

Old 09-08-04, 03:42 PM
Lidlamb
Visiting Guest
Still Nothing

we have removed the lint duct from the back of the dryer. Nothing is left in there. It is clean now. How do I clean the blower???

Old 09-09-04, 08:07 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Take the back panel off the drier, and then take the lint chute off [left side as you face the rear.

Old 09-09-04, 03:43 PM
Lidlamb
Visiting Guest
ok Did that bigjohn. Trying the second thermal fuse now.
Wish me luck.

Old 09-11-04, 07:56 AM
Lidlamb
Visiting Guest
Still Blowing

Wow Made it through an entire cycle before it blew this time.
Anyone have any suggestions???

Old 09-11-04, 03:53 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Were you connected to the vent or was it blowing out freely? When you cleaned the blower wheel, it wasn't loose on the motor shaft was it? Were you operating with the dryer all put back together?, iow- no panels off? Check the heater elemnts to be sure that a section hasn't burned off and is touching the chassis. If all that's ok, I'm thinking you might have a malfunctioning thermostat. Could you tell if the heater was cycling while the dryer was running? Any chance you have a meat thermometer? See if you can take the temperature of the exhaust. Alternatively, you might just go ahead and replace both the operating and safety thermostats [should be able to get them as a kit] and try again. When did it blow?- while the dryer was still running or after the cycle ended? What I'm getting at is did the heater element stay on after the motor stopped?

Old 09-27-04, 07:24 AM
EricG
Visiting Guest
Hi,

I have the same problem, my Inglis dryer thermal cutoff keeps failing open. It is the thermal cutoff that comes with part kit #279769. I did change the 4-wire operational thermostat, and the 3-wire high limit tehrmostat. My heater element looks great, continuity test was good, no grounding element. The lint dust is not clogged, nor the venting path.
My question is actually about this part kit #279769, it comes with a thermal cut-off AND a 2-wire high limit thermostat. It is strongly suggested to install both, but I don't not see any equivalent thermostat for my dryer. I thought I could replaced the thermal cutoff with the high limit thermostat from the kit INSTEAD. What does anyone think ?

Eric

Old 10-12-04, 10:24 AM
abbeyhurst
Visiting Guest
Replaced thermal cut-off

I just replaced my thermal cut-off part # 3977393 (actually the new # is 279816) in my Kenmore dryer. Reason: outside vent was clogged, although not badly. I ordered the part thru Sears' 800 number and w/taxes, S&H, etc. it was $31.+ !! Today a search of the web shows I could have had it delivered for $25..! Anyway - maybe this part will be a good substitute for you ..... the wiring diagram states that this cut-off operates at 309 or 325 degrees F...... BTW, it too also comes with a hi-limit thermostat, although I didn't replace that 'cos it was OK..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: