Frigidaire Smoothtop range

Old 09-14-04, 01:23 PM
OldmanTom
Visiting Guest
Question Frigidaire Smoothtop range

How do I pop the top, lift the smooth top for access to the infinite switches?

Old 09-25-04, 06:55 AM
OldmanTom
Visiting Guest
OldmanTom

Frigidaire Model 389WFCJ smooth top range has non working double size burner. I need to lift top for access to burner and infinite switch. How do I lift the top?

Old 09-26-04, 06:04 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Tom

Not sure exactly how that is done. I deal only with gas appliances. Nor sure anyone posting replies in this forum topic does either. But there are two possibilities that come to mind.

Remove the entire counter cooktop. Turn it over and remove the metal casing and access should be available throught the bottom underside. Inside the cabinet should be holding clips to remove the glass top.

Another method would be to inquire at any local appliance parts store. These businesses are listed in the the phone books.

Regards & Good Luck
Sharp Advice
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 09-28-04, 06:39 AM
OldmanTom
Visiting Guest
OldmanTom

Thanks, Sharp. So far your the only reply. This is a smooth top range, not just a cook top. No local parts suppliers here and dealers not amenable to providing repair advice!

Old 09-28-04, 08:20 AM
otiscampbell
Visiting Guest
full model number

Old -
provide me with the full complete model number and I will tell you anything you want to know.
The number you gave is incomplete.

Old 09-29-04, 04:24 PM
OldmanTom
Visiting Guest
OldmanTom

Thanks, Otis. Model is FEF389WFCJ. I think I've got it but will wait fer your reply.

Old 09-29-04, 06:38 PM
otiscampbell
Visiting Guest
top access

should be able to lift the glass top for burner access by opening oven door and removing phillips screws under front edge of main top.
Check the burner first - that is is the more likely culprit than the infinite switch. Those burners have an overload type sensor that often can crack and render the burner inoperative. The sensor is not available as an individual part, the whole burner assy must be replaced ($$!!).
The infinite switch can be checked by taking off the back panel, giviing you access to the backs of the switches for testing, but if you have to remove a switch to replace it, you must take off the top strip above the clock, which gives you access to the screws that remove the glass panel, etc.

Old 10-11-04, 03:22 PM
OldmanTom
Visiting Guest
OldmanTom

Thanks Otis. This one has a deflector for the slightly open door used during broil. Trial and error. with more screws behind that. Burner over $100.00. Ouch!! Switch is ok. They changed the part number on this burner so I'm guessing that the original burners just didn't work out.

Old 10-12-04, 08:34 AM
otiscampbell
Visiting Guest
burner

Hmmm, that's something I haven't seen. The production ranges did not have any deflectors on them. Anyway, good job diagnosing it. Sorry I don't know of any place you can get the burner cheaper. That's pretty steep.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: