Kenmore Electric Dryer Does Not Operate

Old 09-24-04, 06:47 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Electric Dryer Does Not Operate

Hello; I have an electric Kenmore clothes dryer that won't spin. Model number is 110.66512694; Type 122-00. It is relatively new in appearence but we bought it 2nd hand(still had the blue plastic on it). When turned to the on position and without pushing the on/off button the heat element glows red but it wont spin. On/Off button does nothing.-----background info:::we have been using the dryer for about 3 weeks now and it is positioned about 6 inches away from a concrete block wall but not vented (just have not been looking forward to going thru the block). Hope you can point me in the right direction; Thanks, BillyG.

Old 09-24-04, 05:04 PM
bigjohn1
Visiting Guest
First thing to check is the centrifagul switch [it sounds like the element side is closed when it shouldn't be and the motor side won't make- however make sure the start switch is doing it's job]. You should find the wiring diagram in the console. Use it along with your voltmeter to track down the problem.

Old 09-28-04, 02:30 PM
B
Kenmore Electric Dryer???

John; found the wiring diagram. Checked the on/off switch for continuity and it is ok for that; don't see the centrifigal switch on the diagram but it may be under a different name. I have these switches: thermal cutoff 325 degree(not resetable); thermal fuse 196 degree(not resetable); operating therm. 150 degree; hi limit therm 250 degree; heater; plus the temp. selector. Could it be one of these? Also remember it has been running w/o a exhaust pipe and positioned up against a concrete block wall---could that have tripped something because of heat build up? I'm noit an appliance man---hope you can bear with me on this one---thanks.BillyG.
PS. Is there a pictoral online somewhere that I can refer to?

Old 09-29-04, 09:52 PM
Jake_TJ
Visiting Guest
Hi,

Do you hear the motor running at all when the element turns red?

If so, you could have a broken belt or bad timer.

If you dont hear the motor run, then its possible the heater is grounding out.
You may have a bad motor and timer.

If you have a volt ohm meter, you can check the voltage to the dryer to make sure its getting 240 volts.

No exhaust vent that close to the wall may have caused this problem.

Its ok to use no vent, but pull the dryer out futher from the wall, to prevent air flow feedback through the back dryer vents.

Jake

Old 09-30-04, 06:40 AM
B
Kenmore Electric Dryer???

Thanks for the reply Jake; No I don't hear the motor running when the heater is on---it is quiet. I'm sure the unit it is getting the proper voltage but I will try to check the voltage going directly to the motor. Must I set it in a drying cycle mode to check this? In the meantime; can I jump the motor to check it? and then the timer to check it? How do I check if the heater is grounding out? Yes; I have a volt/ohm meter but just a cheap one(GreenLee DM-50) and don't really understand ohm reading---mainly use it just for voltage. If I can fix this I will definitely put vent thru wall to avoid future problems. Sorry for my ignorance but this is not something I am fimiliar with.......................BillyG.

Old 09-30-04, 10:19 PM
Jake_TJ
Visiting Guest
Yes,
Just be careful when checking the motor with voltage applied.

You will have to jump the door switch, then turn it on dry cycle.

The OHM Meter(anolog style) checks continuity.
When the needle pointer moves to the other side of the meter scale, its good.
If the needle pointer doesnt move, then the part is bad.

On the heater, put 1 lead on the element(make sure the dryer is unplugged first) then the other lead to a ground, like the cabinet base. if the needle moves to the other side of the scale, its grounded out.

Jake

Old 10-01-04, 05:58 AM
B
Smile Kenmore Electric Dryer???

Found part of the problem---there was a piece of metal stuck in the heater; grounding it out---it is a little scared but not burned thru---I suspect it will be ok but I'm sure this will shorten it's life. Thought it would start right up but no way---I don't have anything when i try to start it. Could this short have blown something else? The heater element has continuity and previous to finding the piece of metal wire in the heater I checked the voltage to the motor by pulling the wire harness off the motor and checking power at leads---it has 120 volts. On/off switch has continuity when pressed. Where do I go from here? Thanks.........BillyG.

Old 10-19-04, 08:22 AM
B
Unhappy Kenmore Dryer???

Been away on vacation 2 weeks and thought I would have a response when I came back --- but none found. Please look at my last posts and let me know where I go next. My posts are found under "Kenmore Electric Dryer??? ". The status now is; I have nothing when I push the start button---no sounds --- nothing. All things tested till this point remain unchanged from last post; start button seems ok, I have power, metal causing short in heater has been removed and heater seems unharmed. Where do I go from here? Thanks; BillyG.

Old 10-19-04, 09:32 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: BillyG

I went back into the last months posts and found your prior originally posted question and combinded it into this single thread. Also retitled question to make more clear the nature of the question.

There are several replies made to it which should hopefully help identify and solve the problem.

If not already mentioned in any prior posted replies, the motor relay may be defective. Also test the start button. Look for a fuse. May or may not have one. Follow the power cord into the machine. May find a fuse.

Heating element may be defective and still show continuity, etc. If element is shorted may cause continuity but be shorted out. Replace with a new part. Check door safety switch too.

Do not suggest jumping motor. Have timer control set to dry mode and test for continuity and not current to be sure no shorts result. Same applies to several other parts, componets or assemblies which use current. One more short may be the final end to the machine, if not already, do to the element shorting out.

Read the manufacturers online web site for additional product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, downloadable repair and or owners manuals, which may be available online.

Search the manufacturers web site for a downloadable version of the owners or service manual. The file will be a pdf file opened with Adobe, which also needs to be downloaded first but worth having once obtained.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance part stores and parts dealers are listed in the phone book.

Helping Out Here Too.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator.
Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Help Links to Sears Appliances:
(Copy & Re Paste Into browser - codes off in this topic)

Electric Appliance Parts & Repair:
Sears Home Page:
http://www.sears.com

Sears Search By Model Number Page:
http://www3.sears.com

Whirlpool's Home Web Site: (Also makes appliances for Sears)
http://www.whirlpool.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: