Whirlpool dryer heat will not stop

Old 09-24-04, 05:01 PM
Ren12
Visiting Guest
Whirlpool dryer heat will not stop

First of all I would like to say thank you to the technicians that answer the questions and the people that keep this site running. I tell averyone about it.

Electric dryer: Model# YLER7647EQ2 Serial# MH1701018 Type 178-00

The dryer does not stop when using the automatic cycle. It will run for hours.

On the timed cycle it will stop after the selected time has run out.

When the door is opened during either cycle the drum stops, but the heating element does not. I have a voltage meter and have tested all most everything. still need a bit of guidence t ofind the solution.

I read all previous posts & threads. Yet could not find anything that matched my problem. Please help before my wife calls a service repairman.

Old 09-24-04, 05:16 PM
bigjohn1
Visiting Guest
When the dryer is off, the only way to get the element off is to pull the plug? I'm thinking that a portion of the element may be grounded. If the element is grounded that portion is energized with 120 volts which cuts way down on the heat. Do you see how this would explain both phenomenon? Insufficient heat willl cause the auto cycle to run forever and also the element [or a portion of it] will be energized even if the power source from the door switch is interrupted. Check the element and let us know how you make out.

Old 09-28-04, 03:28 PM
Ren12
Visiting Guest
BigJohn
The element also turns off if I turn the dial all the way through the cycles to the off position. How would I test to see if the element is grounded?

Old 09-29-04, 09:44 PM
Jake_TJ
Visiting Guest
Hi,

You would first unplug the Dryer, Then with a Ohm Meter put 1 lead on one of the element terminals, and the other meter lead on the case of the element, if there is continuity, its grounded.

Always check your exhaust vent for good air flow, bad air flow or a restriction in the exhaust duct will also make the dryer run forever on auto-dry.

Jake

Old 10-06-04, 02:08 PM
Ren12
Visiting Guest
It Gets Better

Sorry for the confusion my wife and I had our wires crossed. This is not part of my dryer problem.
Is there another way to test if the element is grounded other then using a voltage meter.

Now when the dryer finishes it timed cycle the drum stops, but he element stays on. Would this confirm the grounding issue with the element. (I haven't been able to use my voltage meter my son dropped into our washer.) Could it be my timer. Any ideas??

Last edited by Ren12; 10-07-04 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Please disregard the dryer part of this post.
Old 10-07-04, 04:12 AM
bigjohn1
Visiting Guest
Yes, it sounds like either the elemnt is grounded or maybe the heater contacts in the centrifagul switch are bad. You can get an inexpensive VOM at Sears, Home Depot, etc.

Old 11-02-04, 09:14 AM
Ren12
Visiting Guest
BigJohn
Thank you for the advice. It took a while to verify it was grounding. When I would take the element off to test sometimes it would have continuity and sometimes not. The reason was that part of the element was broken and so was one of the ceramic holders. I replaced the element and now it works perfect.
THANKS AGAIN

Old 11-06-04, 02:59 PM
bigjohn1
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the feedback. You saved yourself some money, learned something new, and hopefully scored some points with the Queen Bee. BTW- that's a fairly common dryer problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: