Kenmore Dryer Keeps Running even with Door Switch removed

Old 10-05-04, 09:20 PM
jeoffdryer
Visiting Guest
Kenmore Dryer Keeps Running even with Door Switch removed

Our front-load Kenmore dryer, about 5 years old, has developed a condition where it does not stop if the door is opened. It will stop only if the timer is turned to off.

I took out the door switch and ohm'ed it out and was surprised to find that it seems fine. It works as expected. I am a Electrical Engineer by trade and am sure of this.

I was even more surprised when I found that the dryer works even with the switch removed. My understanding from looking at some schematics online was that this switch controls the Neutral to the spin motor. I believe it should not be possible for the machine to run with the switch completely removed.

I've found lots of information about the opposite problem - dryer won't turn on. Does anyone have any insight that could help me? I will promptly respond to any requests for additional information or test suggestions.

Thanks,
Jeoff

Old 10-06-04, 04:27 AM
bigjohn1
Visiting Guest
The schematic should be in the console. Using it, you should be able to track down the problem.

Old 10-06-04, 06:29 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Jeoff. Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site.

With the door switch disconnected or removed, the dryer should not operate. Possibly a short in the wiring. Using the schematic and an ohm meter, trace the wires. Run a continuity test on them. Also to the connection points. Likely find where that short is located.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers.

Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Use the reply button to add additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically move your question to the top of the forums list of questions.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, connection and or repairs.

Old 10-06-04, 10:19 AM
jeoffdryer
Visiting Guest
Great, this confirms what I thought. I will try to find some time tonight to locate the schematic and ohm everything out.

I appreciate the help!

Old 10-06-04, 01:25 PM
bigjohn1
Visiting Guest
I suggest not wasting time with ohms testing. If you have the schematic, a voltmeter, and know how to use it along with the diagram, you'll find the problem much faster by testing the circuits hot. I agree that it does sound strange- you need to check the schematic to see if the door switch is in series or parallel with the start switch.

Old 10-17-04, 08:47 PM
jeoffdryer
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all of the replies. I took my dryer apart yesterday and found the source of the problem. Check out the attached photos. I found about $3 in changed underneath the machine and a quarter had fallen on top of the motor and was shorting two contacts together. Every time the door was open the motor was pulling neutral through the quarter.

I can't get the links to work properly, but here are the photos:
http://www.krontz.com/krontz/jeoff/h...er/dryer_1.jpg
http://www.krontz.com/krontz/jeoff/h...er/dryer_2.jpg

Thanks,
Jeoff

Old 10-17-04, 09:23 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wow! Lost change caused the problem. Is there something you can do to keep the coins from getting out of the change box and falling into interior of dryer where it can potentially cause this problem again? I would love to own a laundry mat, but I would never have a clue how to repair anything. From what I read, those who can repair their own appliances can run a profitable business. Otherwise, repairs will eat up any profit.

Old 10-17-04, 09:25 PM
jeoffdryer
Visiting Guest
Ha, this was a home dryer, not commercial. I am not sure how the coins find their way into the bottom of the dryer but they sure are.

These were just random coins from the pockets of our clothes...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: