Kenmore Dryer=No heat!?

Old 10-30-04, 04:57 PM
jandslegate
Visiting Guest
Kenmore Dryer=No heat!?

I have an old Kenmore 60 series dryer (model # 66612690). I just finished replacing the heater element after checking the vents etc. While replacing the element I discovered the one of the blade contacts (spade connectors) had snapped off. I just got a replacement for that today. I finally got everything put back in place, but I still am not getting any heat out of the dryer. Can anyone give me any suggestions. If nothing else some idea of how to troubleshoot whether its the thermostat, fuse etc. would be greatly appreciated. At this point I'm more than a little bit frustrated.

Old 10-30-04, 07:04 PM
jandslegate
Visiting Guest
Just wanted to add this.
I just finished opening the dryer back up. I checked all of my connections with the heater element, so everything there is ok. I also wound up removing the vent shaft. Once I did this I found a TON of lint and general garbage. So, I have removed all of this and cleaned it up as much as possible. I put everything together and set the dryer back up. I have it running now, but I still dont seem to be getting any heat. How long should it take the dryer to heat up? Thx.

Old 10-31-04, 04:46 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: jandslegate

May not be any electrical current flowing to the element. You did not mention if the heating element is glowing or not. An aspect needed to know to help diagnose a possible cause for a lack of heat or not much heat. Not known exactly which that is either. Not clear. Is there heat? Or no heat?

Time span for heat should not be much more than a few minutes or so. Much depends on moisture content of clothes and heating elements ability to warm up. Weak elements take longer than a new one.

Check back on your question several more times. Other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas and or repair methods.

Regards & Good Luck
Sharp Advice
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 10-31-04, 07:00 PM
jandslegate
Visiting Guest
There is no heat coming from the dryer at all. As for glowing, I am not sure. I went back into the dryer a second time, after installing the element, and there was no sign of heat. I haven't seen any glowing, so does this mean it may be the fuse that attaches on the side of the element? I do appreciate your response. I am planning on going back to the parts store tomorrow, I'm hoping its the fuse as that is one of the less expensive pieces on the list.

Old 10-31-04, 07:26 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hi; jandslegate

May be a fuse in the wiring somewhere. Follow the wires from the heating element to where ever they go. Also check the incomming electric cord. Plus be sure there is power to the dryer as well as to the heating element.

The timer may also be defective. May allow the machine to run but not heat. The internal contacts of mechanical timers get burned and pitted. Touch pad controls also become defective. As well as any machine that has a computer main circuit board.

The links below may be helpful. Codes in this topic are turned off. Copy and repaste link addresses into browser.

Sears Home Page:
http://www.sears.com

Sears Search By Model Number Page:
http://www3.sears.com

Whirlpool's Home Web Site: (Also makes appliances for Sears)
http://www.whirlpool.com

DIY advertiser links:
Appliance Parts, Pictures & Help:
http://www.PartSelect.com

Appliances Parts & Help:
http://www.pcappliancerepair.com

Kitchen Appliance Parts:
http://www.parts-depot.online.com

Read the manufacturers online web site for additional product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, downloadable repair and or owners manuals, which may be available online.

Search the manufacturers web site for a downloadable version of the owners or service manual. The file will be a pdf file opened with Adobe, which also needs to be downloaded first but worth having once obtained.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance part stores and parts dealers are listed in the phone book.

Check back on your question several more times. Other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas and or repair methods.

Helping Out Here Too.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator.
Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-01-04, 03:31 PM
jandslegate
Visiting Guest
Ok, I've completely checked the ventilation (inside and out). I have replaced the heater element, the thermostat (that attatches to the element), the internal bias thermostat, and the thermal fuse. My timer is cycling properly. At least if I set it for 30 min., it runs down to the off portion of the switch (in 30 minutes). You asked before if the element was glowing. How can I check this? I assumed I should replace the back panel before I operated the dryer. Am I missing an obvious place where I can tell if it is glowing. I am running the dryer right now, but I haven't checked it yet (at this point I am afraid too, ) If all of these fixes don't solve the problem, is there anything else that could be causing the problem? Thanks again for your help.

Old 11-01-04, 09:57 PM
jandslegate
Visiting Guest
The only remaining piece that can be replaced is the Thermal Cut-Off. It is placed higher up on the dryer housing (above the heater element). Is this even a possible cause for my getting no heat? The only other thing I can think of is faulty wiring somewhere, but I have no clue how to even check that. How can I check the timer switch. It is running properly, but I dont know if that alone is a proper diagnosis. Thanks again for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: