Dishwasher rinses poorly

Old 11-02-04, 08:38 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Dishwasher rinses poorly

Recenty, I have been having a problem with our dishwasher rinsing very poorly. I don't have the make and model handy, but can post it later when I get home. Whenever we do a load of dishes, the glasses on the upper rack almost never come clean. They always seem to have some food residue stuck on them that seems to come from the plates down below. We have tried switching detergents, but it hasn't worked. I think the food is getting washed up to the top and then does not come off the glasses. The dishwasher is only 4 years old. I have also noticed on two occasions that the central wand (that extends up to the glass rack) does not fully retract and the bottom rack will get stuck on it. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 11-02-04, 09:06 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello; rockford33

You will need to remove the wash arms, clean them out and open the water holes. Very likely plugged up with hard water deposits, dried soap, etc. Also clean the lower screen or remove it and clean under it. Lower screen at the bottom of the machine where the water enters to be circulated or pumped out. May need to use a dishwasher cleaning solution also.

Check back on your question several more times. Other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas and or repair methods.

Helping Out Here Too.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator.
Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-03-04, 07:51 AM
B
I had a similar problem with a prior dishwasher (major brand, I forget which, about 5 years old). There was no filter to get clogged, and I traced the problem to the design: There was a well at the bottom of the dishwasher where the water collected and was pumped out (or recirculated). The intake for the pump was above the bottom of the well, so there was always some water left behind. As a result, food residue in the rinse water was always left behind (in the bottom of that well) to mix with each wash cycle. Lousy design.

Old 11-03-04, 06:49 PM
R
Originally Posted by Sharp Advice
Hello; rockford33

You will need to remove the wash arms, clean them out and open the water holes. Very likely plugged up with hard water deposits, dried soap, etc. Also clean the lower screen or remove it and clean under it. Lower screen at the bottom of the machine where the water enters to be circulated or pumped out. May need to use a dishwasher cleaning solution also.
I pulled off the wash arm. Nothing really to clog there. The holes are about 1/4" in diameter and none of them were clogged. Unscrewed the filter cover (plastic piece on floor of dishwasher) and pulled out the plastic screen underneath. Nothing really clogged under there, just a little grimy. One thing I did notice was that the area under the filter (kind of an oval basin that goes down into the dishwasher) was full of water. I did not feel any drainage hole down in the opening, but it did appear as if there was something on the one wall of this basin. Kind of hard to explain. Its a GE Potscrubber dishwasher. Any other suggestions as to what I could look at?

Thanks.

Old 11-03-04, 08:55 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello; Rockford

Side of the machine has a hose to bring water up to upper wash arm. Since the upper rach has the problem or lack of water, hose may be clogged, etc. You need to do more exploring to determine a cause for a lack of water, water volume and or water pressure to the upper wash arm.

Exactly what the problem is cannot be easily determined here in a text only format. However, exploring any visable or obvious reason for a lack of water to the upper wash arm can only be determined by a physical inspection.

Not as likely to be a problem is the pump. May be restricted somewhere or somehow. Needs to be looked at. May need to remove water circulation hoses, etc. Water is suppose to remain in the lower part of the machine. Protects the gasket from drying out during the drying cycle.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance part stores and parts dealers are listed in the phone book.

Helping Out Here Too.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator.
Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Using the quotes, (quote button in this forum) does not work. The codes for them have been turned off. Simply type the response without the quotes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: