Oven gets HOTTER than set temp

Old 11-14-04, 05:39 PM
burntb4
Visiting Guest
Smile Oven gets HOTTER than set temp

The mother in law got probs with her oven.She sets it to bake like she's done for years but now the oven gets hotter than she has set it for and it's burning all the good stuff she bakes.Can i fix this for her.

She had a guy come out that charged her $95.00 for being there 10 minutes.She says he took the temp.knob off,stuck a probe in and told her that the thermostat was shot and it would be about $160.00 to replace it.

Now she has called me ,her usual Mr.Fix-it. I don't know if the repair guy was fair or not ,but if it is something that an ordinary fella like me can do I will do it.

This stove is a Fridgidaire -Model#CFEF313MFW1
Serial# NF80508315

I would appreciate any help that can be passed on to me,
Thank You,
Gerry

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-04, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Take a oven thermometer and check to see how much the oven is off. Start at 250 degrees and leave it there for 15 min. Check the temp on the oven thermometer. Do the same at 300 degrees....etc. This will give you an idea of how much the thermostat is off. You can adjust your temp and time temporarily this way. If the thermostat is shot it will have to be replaced, and depending on the model, some of them can be rather pricey.
Good luck and post back with the results.

Old 11-20-04, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you can find the part, go for it. It can't be that hard. Take a picture of the back of the control or make a sketch before you take the wires off. Or change them over 1 at a time like spark plug wires.

Ken