Neptune drum bearings repair possible?

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-07, 11:53 AM
Neptune drum bearings repair possible? YES

Thanks for all great insight and tips...

Summary to be done - per all the great threads -

Order the following Parts -

Lip Seal Kit - $32.00 Maytag # 12002022 from
http://repairclinic.com or http://www.partselect.com/

Order the Large and small bearings - $15.00

http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

6206-2RS Bearing 30x62x16 Sealed
6207-2RS Bearing 35x72x17 Sealed

Download the manual from

http://appliancehelp.hypermart.net/16010061new.pdf

Watch the video

http://www.tonytool.com/page3.htm

Tools needed:

Hammer / Mallet
Needle nose pliers
grease
Dowel/Bearing puller/Tony's tool

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-07, 07:34 PM
Can anyone tell me if the bearing numbers and seal part number in the previous posts are the same for the MAH5500 Neptune front load washers?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-29-07, 10:28 PM
Exclamation Fragile outer tub! Bearing surgery beats hammering any day.

You guys are taking some major chances on these bearing jobs.

The whole hammering thing has me spooked. Neptune outer tubs are VERY brittle, they often crack when jarred from simply being unloaded off a moving truck. I've obtained several insurance claim parts units that way.

Sympathetic spiderweb cracking of the RECYCLED low grade plastic during all this hammering, is a very real possibility. Instead, be as minimally invasive as possible.

Wet up some autobody #1000 'wetordry' sandpaper (the black kind) and with the pulley off, wrap it around the shaft and grip it tight. Spin the drum, gripping the wet paper as close to the back bearing as you can to clear the shaft of rust. Keep going even after the shaft is clean, producing a gray film. You are reducing the shaft diameter ever so slightly. Wipe it dry, and then oil it.

Tap it out with the block of wood like these other guys said. I found that if you or better yet, another person takes weight off the bearings by lifting the front of the drum a little bit, the shaft generally pops right out without the struggle others have described.

Once it's out, hook your seals out and set them off to the side. Now comes the fun part. But first a word: If you are careful about the next step you can sometimes save the plastic spacer. If you do wreck the spacer, just use electrical PVC conduit cut EXACTLY the same length when the thing goes back together. Do a good job if you do this. Square it up and deburr it on a belt sander, the side of a grinding wheel, or (no kidding) some nice smooth precast concrete steps.

Buy a tungsten carbide coated hacksaw blade for around ten bucks and snap it in two. Mount one half in a sawzall and blast right thru the bearing inner races, taking the bearings apart in sections. Balls are going to go flying everywhere, so be ready to vacuum 'em up. I shove a facecloth in the tub drain. The bearing steel is HARD and a plain ol' sawzall blade isn't going to work in any kind of a time frame.

I know it sounds hack. And there is the smell. But there is no shock to the basket, and no chance of a missed swing and disaster! Cutting out the outer races will be trickier, because you don't want to nick the area where the seals bed down. Most times even if you do gouge the spacer you can reuse it without ill effect.

Reassembly couldn't be easier. You clean up the aluminum with a nice fresh piece of that autobody paper, then LIGHTLY coat the inside with Permatex P/N 80078 Anti Seize Lubricant.

If you patiently disassemble the front bearing first, then the rear one, you don't need to take the tub out. You can work on it in place.

To draw the bearings into the bore, just use a big giant bolt, nut, and two big washers from a tractor store. Pipe flanges work when you can't find big washers. Make cotton picking sure you put that spacer and or equivalent back in there before bearing #2, though!!!

Old 07-16-07, 08:29 PM
Re: 5500 front load?

Originally Posted by sched View Post
Can anyone tell me if the bearing numbers and seal part number in the previous posts are the same for the MAH5500 Neptune front load washers?

Thanks in advance.
I just stripped another (dropped and smashed) MAH5500BWW. I can vouch for the bearings being the same dimensions and part numbers. The seal is too mangled to tell. I have a new one someplace that I will take down to my guy and match up--more on that in a minute. The seal IS the same OD & ID as the big bearing, if that helps at all.

Maytag must be paying 3 bucks apiece for their bearings, b/c they all seem to be stamped from eastern bloc countries (and last only a year). They probably lube 'em with the oilpan dregs from blown-up tanks...

The seal seems a pretty common automotive seal. You find it used as an axle seal on the rear differentials of some Japanese part-time 4wd 's, and also sometimes as a camshaft seal. It's really meant for oil, not water. I suspect it could be dug up pretty quickly-- I will give it a shot. Check back here in 2 days... permacrisis

Old 07-24-07, 08:36 AM
Correction

Hold that thought- measurements are NOT the same as the bearing, due to the steel collar that goes over the shaft. Spoke too soon. My mistake!

The factory seal appears to be 72 by 42 or 43. The 72 OD is nominal because the outside is ribbed as high as 75mm, for a force fit. It is mfg ATP #16 . The seal is designed to hold back water both axially and radially.

There is no spring in the seal so the lips cannot tolerate much runout. I could machine a hockey puck down and it would do the same job.

I am looking into a 72 x 42 Timken replacement seal that should last at least 2 years when installed spring side toward the rear of the washer. I will try it in my test machine.

Old 08-29-07, 06:59 AM
Service manual

Hello,
I'm just starting the replacement project on MAH3000AWW. Ordered the bearings, getting the seal kit but I'm missing the service manual. I tried the site http://appliancehelp.hypermart.net/16010061new.pdf but it seems to be down.
I was wondering if anyone out there has the manual in pdf format and would not mind to e-mail it to me.
Thanks.
chris

Old 08-29-07, 01:35 PM
See if this will help you out:

http://appliancejunk.com/manuals/neptunewasher3000.pdf

BTW: Welcome to the DoItYourself.com forums

Old 09-12-07, 04:12 PM
Washer Belt Falls Off

I just got a replacement belt for my Maytag mah3000aww because the belt fell off. I assumed it was warped but now the new one does the same. It does not appear the pulley and motor are aligned properly. Anyone have any tips for me?
Thanks

Old 10-23-07, 04:52 PM
Another Maytag Neptune bearing repair experience

Thanks to help here and the Tony Tool video, I replaced the inner and outer bearings in my MAH3000AWW Maytag Neptune. I'm hoping it lasts another 8 years or more. The local CenterPoint Energy repair service I paid monthly for, simply said to buy a new one. I try to avoid the throw away society.

I arranged a bearing puller with:
a 1/2" bolt through an approx 21mm socket which pushed against the inner side of the outer bearing,
through the bearing and though a 1" long piece of 3" pipe which rested on metal bearing housing, through a 4" (about) pulley which covered the pipe, through a nut to tighten the whole affair up which pulls the bearing out. It took a hard twist with a 15" wrench.

A simular setup to pull the new bearings into the housing. The spinner shaft and inner bearings took a good whack with a 5# hammer.

I have pictures of everything if anyone needs a look. I believe this is easily done with professional skills and tools, and many handy, somewhat mechanical or really motivated people could do this. Cost: bearings from Gopher Bearings, St Paul, MN (very standard sizes) $40, lip seal $50.

Allan
Here's my SPAM hidden address: 8 letters: r e s p o n s e ....
that at symbol....
4 letters : v i s i
dot
c o m

Old 02-13-08, 04:08 PM
maytag neptune bearing spacer

OK So I got the old bearings out...but in the process cracked the spacer...any idea on where/how to get this spacer?

Old 03-28-08, 06:30 PM
Neptune Replacement Bearings

You can go to www.neptunewaxmotor.com site for the replacement bearings and the 12002022 seal kit.

Old 06-15-08, 01:45 PM
Angry spin cycle top speed problem

I have the Maytage MAH4000aww model washer. After I replaced the hub seal the machine performed well for a couple of washes. Now in spin the tube reaches top speed then cuts off. It acts as though the machine thinks the load is unbalanced. I disabled the three load switches (shorted the circuit out of the loop) but the machine still does not maintain top spin speed for more then 5 sec. Any ideas as to what or where I should look for problems?

Old 06-15-08, 04:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Take front off and right front corner is a control board. look at board carefully to see if you have a burnt resistor. If you do you need a motor and control board kit. Lots of problems with these machines. Read back through treads and see all that can go wrong.

Old 08-24-08, 07:34 AM
You can rent the Tony Tool now

Introducing - The Tony Tool rental program.

See www.neptunebearing.com for information regarding the rental of the Tony Tool. This revolutionary tool will save you time on your Maytag neptune bearing replacement.

You can also rent the original Tony Tool demonstration DVD since it was yanked off google video recently. This is the original 13+ minute video that starts with Shirley removing the first Neptune screw. Now, there is a new 5 minute video on YouTube that shows just the Tony Tool operation.

If you are not sure how to disassemble your Neptune for the bearing replacement then I would reccommend renting the DVD. In addition, the picture will be much clearer and larger than the Google video anyway...

Originally Posted by piperp View Post
I emailed the guys at Tony Tool to see if I could get a bearing and seal kit from him. Unfortunately he only works with dealers. But they had some great advice and sent me the following part numbers for the seals and bearings. The seal kit will have to be purchased from Maytag but the bearings can come from a local bearing supplier like NAPA. I will attach a link to the Tony Tool web site that has a great video of how to disassemble the washer and replace the bearings. You do not need the Tony Tool to get the bearings out. I used a piece of small dia. pipe and drove the rear bearing out first and the then the front. Below is the link and the reply from the guys at Tony Tool.

I would recommend using the seal kit from Maytag. I bought a kit from Bee Smart eezway and I am having some problems with the seal. I am going to replace that seal with one from Maytag unless someone can give me an idea of what may be wrong.

The job takes about 2-3 hours and is not that difficult. The Tony Tool video is was a great help.

Good Luck

http://www.tonytool.com/page3.htm

GET THIS PART SEAL KIT MAYTAG NU. 12002022
FROM LOCAL MAYTAG DEALER OR ON LINE
THEN GO GET A BIG HAMMER AND A PIECE OF PIPE
SIZE TO FIT INSIDE HOLE OF BEARING GAS PIPE STOCK
WORKS THE BEST AND TAKE YOUR TIME WATCH VIDEO
FOR POINTERS DRIVE OUT REAR BEARING FIRST TAKE
SPACER OUT THEN DRIVE FRONT BEARING OUT
WHEN PUTTING TOGETHER PUT REAR BEARING IN FIRST
THEN PUT SPACER IN FRONT HOLD IT IN THERE CENTERING
IT WITH A HOMEMADE WOODEN DOUWEL ROD DRIVE THE FRONT
BEARING IN JUST TILL IT TOUCHES PUSH OUT WOODEN ROD
THEN YOU GOT IT MADE O I ALMOST FORGOT THE BEARINGS
YOU CAN GET LOCAL AT A BEARING DIST OR JUST GO TO
NAPA AUTO PARTS AND GET A 6207-2RS AND A 6206-2RS
SORRY I DON'T RENT THE TOOL AND I DON'T HAVE A
MAYTAG DEALER CONTACT IN YOUR AREA BUT I CAN
TELL YOU LOTS OF HOME OWNERS DID IT LIKE THIS WITH THE
HELP OF VIDEO MY SEAL KIT I OFFER IS A INCENTIVE
FOR THESE MAYTAG DIST TO BUY THE TOOL I DON'T
REALLY DO HOME OWNERS BUT IF YOU CANT FIND
THE SEAL AND BEARINGS I MINT BE ABLE TO HELP
BUT IF YOUR MECHANICAL YOU CAN DO THIS

Old 12-02-08, 01:19 PM
Bilbojr uses a Tony Tool

My mother's Neptune started acting up so I decided to give Jeff at neptunebearing.com a try using his Tony Tool rental program. I can report the complete transaction from contact to return of tool went very smoothly. The Tony Tool works very well and the included instructions and video make the job almost effortless. I have series of photos I took during my experience and if you PM me I'll send you some pics along with my comments.

Old 12-24-08, 01:55 PM
Maytag Neptune bearing repair success

I purchased a neptune 1997, thinking that maytag had such a great reputation with reliability... After 11 years, it is still running - Maytag paid for a control board replacement and a boot for the mold issue, along with a motor (after some arguing with the local service rep on proving it was the motor vs. the control board), it ends up they gave me a new motor with a control board because newer motors are not compatible with older motor control boards. So up until about 1 year ago, I none of my own money into the washer, but had several upgrades/repairs done. About a year ago, I noticed a small leak, that ended up being the boot - small pin hole, not easy to see. This was the boot replaced about 4 or 5 years earlier - this cost me about $50.00. The last 3 or 4 months, I noticed the noise increase, and figured it was the bearings in the tub. It was amazing how much information was out there - thanks to all who have contributed! The parts cost me about $85.00, 45 for the seal kit, 35 for the bearings, and about 5 for threaded rod, nuts and washers to press the bearings in.

This was not an easy job, the bearings do not come out easily, but saving the price of a new washer and dryer (about $2000.00) it was well worth it. I know what you are thinking, why buy a new dryer if there is nothing wrong with it - I had the same question, but my wife made it clear to me that if we needed a new washer, a new dry would be required - who am I to question her

It is nice to be able to hear the TV or people talking when the washing machine is running... I hope to get another 5 to 10 years out it, with several new parts.

Old 02-03-09, 08:20 AM
Read through all the threads and am wondering if anyone has pictures/dimensions of the alternative tools used to remove the bearings? Tony tool is great but 70.00 to rent seems a little steep if I can fabricate something myself. TIA Pete

Old 02-03-09, 12:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
70 is pretty cheap factory repair is to replace the rear tub.

Old 03-22-09, 02:09 PM
Neptune Bearing Repair

Is there anyone in the Toronto area that has successfully completed this repair, as I would like to attempt but need some assistance because I live in Canada it is difficult to rent the Tony Tool. Anyone interested in assisting me??

Thanks

p.s. my machine was purchased in Nov/01 and has worked perfectly up until now with the loud bearing noise on the spin cycle.

Old 05-18-09, 09:30 PM
Looking for source for resonably priced outer tub

I am not sure if I should start a new thread - but this seems to be the right topic. I read this thread after getting a deal on a Maytag MHW2000AWW stacked washer/dryer that has the infamous bearing issue. Long story short, I found this thread very helpful and just finished removing the old bearings. After removing them, I found that they had obviously been bad for a while and the previous owner obviously continued to run this thing no matter how it sounded or ran. The mating bearing races in the hub of the outer tub are corroded and badly pitted - so much so that I fear if I were to install new units, the seals would not seat and the bearings would be breached by water almost immediately. My question is: Where can I find a reasonably priced outer tub for this unit? I have done some searches and they have ranged from $535 to over $700!! I know Maytag/Whirlpool would like to encourage owners to buy a new machine - but this is absurd! I would even buy a used outer tub if it were in good shape. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-19-09, 04:37 AM
the bearings should come with new races so as long as the new bearings have a tight fit into the sleeve in the tub you should be ok

Old 05-19-09, 05:20 AM
My mistake on calling it a race. It is the hub in the outer tub that is pitted and in poor condition. I am not too concerned about the bearings seating but I am concerned about the seal seating as this outer area of the hub has the worse pitting. Am thinking of using some JB Weld steel before setting the seal to if I cannot find an affordable replacement tub. I searched one website last night and a customer email on the site was very complimentary about the price he paid for the exact tub I need in Feb of 2008. He pd $350 for the tub and other parts. Current price is over $700 at the same site for just the tub. The email I got back from the site essentially said their prices had gone up. No...., really??!

Old 07-08-09, 09:14 AM
Better price for the bearings

VXB still has the bearings, but they are now $7.95 and $9.95 respectively, and almost $13 for the cheapest shipping.

I found the same sealed bearings at Fremont Industrial Supply for $2.10 (6206-2RS) and $2.80 (6207-2RS), $9.23 UPS shipping, for a total of $14.13 shipped to Texas.

6206-2RS: 6206-2RS Sealed ball bearing

6207-2RS: 6207-2RS Sealed ball bearing

Ordering today, will report back on my seal / bearing replacement. This is the second time for me--first time I replaced the drum and bearing as one unit for about $400.

Old 07-08-09, 09:35 AM
Lip Seal Kit - best price?

Best price I have found so far for the lip seal kit Maytag P/N 12002022 is $32.22 from Midwest Appliance Parts.

Maytag Clothes Washer Washing Machine Lip Seal Kit 12002022 [Lip Seal Kit 12002022] - $32.22 : Appliance Parts from Midwest Appliance Parts, Appliance Part Service, Chicago, Water Filters, Appliance Parts Chicago

Old 07-09-09, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by whistman View Post
I found the same sealed bearings at Fremont Industrial Supply for $2.10 (6206-2RS) and $2.80 (6207-2RS), $9.23 UPS shipping, for a total of $14.13 shipped to Texas.

6206-2RS: 6206-2RS Sealed ball bearing

6207-2RS: 6207-2RS Sealed ball bearing

Ordering today, will report back on my seal / bearing replacement. This is the second time for me--first time I replaced the drum and bearing as one unit for about $400.
Ordered these bearings yesterday from Fremont, they were in my mailbox today... along with a check for $3.48 as a refund for shipping and handling overcharged by the website. WOW. I am impressed.

Old 03-25-13, 06:17 PM
What is the correct Rear Bearing? 6206ZZ (double shields) or 6206RS (double seals)?

Old 03-25-13, 07:40 PM
i'm going to stick my neck out there and say it's the double sealed bearing. It's the water/ detergent that's washing the grease out of the bearings and you need good seals.

Old 03-06-15, 12:44 PM
Mine is still going! No noise and smooth as silk.

Old 03-06-15, 04:57 PM
Group Moderator
bilbojr..... thanks for stopping by and giving us a heads up (a thumbs up too)

I can see by the page views that this is a busy thread. It's being sent back to our searchable archives where it will always be available for future use. If you have a problem that is not answered in this thread please feel free to start a new one and reference this one.

Closed Thread